Now about air intakes

strokin'

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm also looking to get a new intake, I already have a banks exhaust and need to open up the front side. I had always thought K&N was the best, but this S&B looks pretty good too. I also noticed some of you use the Ford AIS intake, but does that really 'free' it up as much or is it really just for more dirty conditions? Thank you PSD gods!:hail

Last edited:

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fill in your sig so we know what unit you have and we can help you out.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I run AFE stage II on my truck and have a S&B on my Chevy II. I don't here S&B talked about very much in the diesel world, but that doesn't mean they are a bad choice.

strokin'

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here's my sig. So K&N is out, and it is now between AFE, S&B, and the Ford AIS. I like the S&B since its sealed to the heat from the engine, but I would like to find out more about the AIS intake since I can't find much about it anywhere.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AFE is sealed as well. I love my AFE but the cost is something to choke on!!! I have a MAC on the wifes expedetion. It's nice too.

clux

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have run a AIS for about 2 1/2 years. As you probably know it was developed by Donaldson for Ford when FMC realized they had problems with the stock superduty 7.3 air filter system. You can buy the Severe Duty system for about $200.

I put one on because I run in some extremely dusty conditions and I wanted the best filtering efficency I could find. The AIS uses Donaldson's powercore filter media, which is the same media that the 6.0 comes with stock. The filter elements are expensive (about $70 each) but have lasted 40,000+ miles on my pickup.

When you open the hood, people aren't going to say "OMG what's that!" because it's a very stock looking system. I like it, I'm not interested in really big horsepower but I do run a 85hp tune and propane and it flows plenty for air for me.

Cool Canuck

Having a Hoot
Reaction score
AIS cost me $214.00 delivered. With the fender sleeve it will flow more air than most will need. (which I haven't done) No turbo whistle and I haven't noticed any turbo surge yet. No warranty issues.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64