Question Oil Coorler Upgrade

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Cooler Upgrade

So I just took the 6.0 in for the third oil cooler and EGR replacement. Dealer is sure that the problem is the oil cooler keeps backing up and causing the EGR to blow.

SO... Do I upgrade to a remote Oil Cooler such as a Oil System
or do I just do the coolent filter and hope I do not blow the 3rd cooler like the 2nd one?

Maybe a stock replacement like the one from IPR?
IPResearch High Flow Oil Cooler Kit for Ford 6.0 Powerstroke

Thoughts Suggestions? Experences?

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
1. if its the same dealer who put in cooler number 1 and 2, i might think to call ford customer care line and find a new dealer.

2. what programming are you running?

vailcomp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have 106k on my 2005 no issue with EGR or Cooler- maybe because I installed a coolant filter right off- or just luck, also have a oil bipass FS 2500
Good luck- also maybe go to another dealer- I had my share a dealer with a bad mechanic- changed dealers they fixed the problems so far so good

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last set of coolers had no programmer run with them and they still blew.

Gaplin Ford in San Fernando Ca has always been pretty good. No issues with the service dept and they even installed studs under warranty. They will put the external cooler in under warranty too if i get them the parts.

I have the coolent flushed every time the coolers have been replaced so the coolent is fresh. I even bought the coolent filter but havent had the time to install.

I am good with regular service and need to fix the problem long term so I do not have the same problem when I am out of warranty in Aug.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC Ford parts and workmanship should carry a 12mo/12k warranty. If you are "blowing" EGR coolers I'd ask other questions about the dealership. Read your Service Work order for the details.

Keep the OEM oil cooler and swap in a GOGO diesel intake manifold (EGR system delete).

johnson1781

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I just took the 6.0 in for the third oil cooler and EGR replacement. Dealer is sure that the problem is the oil cooler keeps backing up and causing the EGR to blow.

SO... Do I upgrade to a remote Oil Cooler such as a Oil System
or do I just do the coolent filter and hope I do not blow the 3rd cooler like the 2nd one?

Maybe a stock replacement like the one from IPR?
IPResearch High Flow Oil Cooler Kit for Ford 6.0 Powerstroke

Thoughts Suggestions? Experences?

I have purchased the IPR oil cooler.Waiting on warm weather to install.My dealer price was $50 less for OEM so I got this one.Looks the same on outside.Improvements I can not see but improvements are on inside.I hope it does what they advertise.I got the Cooler,Intake gasket set and exhaust gaskets at a good price.Waiting to get everything together then go to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58