Oil Leak @ Transmission??

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
He everyone. Got a quick question - Is this normal, or has anybody else had this trouble before? - see pictures. You are looking just behind the oil pan on the transmission housing. There is a rectanglular grommet in the front of it the transmission housing where there is oil leaking out of it???

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done that for years nothing big. It's seepage from the seal. If your leeving oil spots in the driveway then you need to look in to it.

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good to know its not a huge deal, however, I do in fact have a concrete driveway and I need to be sure to keep it clean so I don't get spots. Does anybody have a fix for this by chance or a recommendation of where to start?

Fine69

Reaction score
Take it to the dealer. Are you still under warranty? If so let them fix it for you for free, it will never get better by itself, and chances are it will just leak worse. Looks to me like a rear main seal leak, 6.0's were more known for oil leaks, 6.4's have proven fairly well as far as leaks.

mastercrafttile

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yea oil leak,,,My 08 f250 6.4 was leaking at the bell housing at 5000 miles,the dealer thought it was rear main plate,they repaired the rear main plate and still leaked.I brought it to a different dealer and it ended up being a leaking turbo pedistal,they had to remove the cab to work on it and it took 4 days.No leaks now for 10,000 miles.

mastercrafttile

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was looking closer at your picture and it is the same as mine was,leaking turbo pedistal....it drips oil through the tranny/engine cracks,change your oil more often and it will help things from starting leaks..$$$$ I know $$$ oil/filter equals=SUX too much dang money to maintain these engines.I change oil every 3000 miles.

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mastercraft -

Thanks for the info,. Yeah the oil is comming mainly through that little rubber gasket facing the front of the truck (picture 01). I believe it just spreads over the bottom of the transmission due to wind while driving. So you do think that it is a leaking turbo pedistal? How does this happen? I changed my oil every 3,000 until 30,000 and now I change it every 5,000. I am currently at 42,***. This being said, do you still believe that the oil change frequency would have caused the problem?

Does anybody know where I can find good schematics / assembly drawings for the truck?

mastercrafttile

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After going through it myself,yea I thought for sure it was the rear main plate cover,but nope it was not,it was the turbo pedistall leaking down into the transmission bell housing,oil leaks are very decieving.If you are under warranty they will eventually fix it after many tries..sorrry to say,they only pull the cab after process of elimination.They will pull the tranny first.Then if it leaks still they will pull the cab,then they can see the whole enchilada.

mastercrafttile

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 99 f-350 7.3 Long Bed 4 door loaded,chipped big exaust lifted big tires had 130,000 miles on it and it never leaked oil and I never had to fix it !! Why did I sell it???

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I gotta ask Mastercraft - and others that have had the cab yanked; Did the truck go back together right after all the work was done to it? Did you pick up any rattles or vibrations due to the cab being yanked?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64