oil pan housing

Discussion in '99+ 7.3L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by RSG, Oct 15, 2017.

1. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

Mine has looked awful for years. I treated it to a careful clean/degrease/clean/paint job about 6 years ago. But it looks like a kid with acne at this point. How big of a deal is it to replace. I recall the engine needs to be lifted. What should I expect to pay for it, and what would I need to do it myself?

I'm sure it's going to let go sooner or later, it just seems a matter of time...

2. JimmyDee

JimmyDee God Bless America

Back a few years ago, it was an $1800 to $2000 job. I did an application of POR 15 on mine and my 2001 pan still is in tact and looking good. This topic was talked about at length at that time. There were a few innovative fixes that came down the line but most found that pulling the engine and replacing was the best. Not sure what is will cost today. I am not sure but someone was going to design a pan that was split and bolted together and I am not sure if that happened or not.

3. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

yeah, I recall the discussions but was hoping for an update. I also used the POR 15 treatment. It has stuck good, but it looks to me like it's probably an internal 'decay' which seems odd given it lives in an oil bath.

4. SPRCRW01

SPRCRW01 SDD Junior Member

I am having mine replace now....Went with a Moroso oil pan $279 and gasket $77. Estimate 16-20 hours labor. ($85/hr) :(

5. RSG

RSG Full Access Member

16-20h labor? My lord!

Is yours leaking a bit or a lot? When it comes off, would you mind inspecting and shooting some pix of what exactly failed?