Question Oil pan replacement

mjn798

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 F250 7.3L 4X4 with a leak in the oil pan. Since replacing it is pretty much open heart surgery, and the motor needs to come out, I was wondering what else I should do while the engine is out. I was looking at replacing the exhaust manifolds, hoses, and belts. Are there other things I should look at, clean out or replace? Should I do anything to the turbo?

Thanks for your help and advice!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the manifolds themselves do not tend to have problems, the up pipes from the manifold to the turbo collector manifold are the location of frequent leaks. I would suggest either rebuilding or replacing the oil cooler. Now wouldn't be a bad time to consider the rear main seal on the engine or the front seal on the transmission, or possibly upgrading your torque converter, all of the transmission suggestions are presuming you have an automatic. For ease of access now wouldn't be a bad time to replace the glow plugs, and if you have grand power plans in the future then head studs would be much easier while the engine is out anyway.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep,

I did the pan saver install. It went pretty straight forward. The only difficult part was dealing with the polysulfide on the fibreglass mold. I had to use a small bottle jack with a 2 x 4 to install the pan saver onto the oem pan. I am happy with the results so far. Beats having to pull the engine.

Butch Cassidy

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
well if ya have the money, and if it needs it GP's, injectors or injector o-rings, turbo o-rings anything that you can think of that would be a bear to get at while its in the truck. a good cleaning and paint job?

mjn798

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help and advise! I ended up pulling the motor in my garage...replaced the oil pan, exhaust manifolds, water pump, starter, all hoses, and the belt. Rebuilt the HPOP and replaced the front and rear main seals, and the seals to the fuel filter. Replaced the seals on the oil cooler, HPOP, turbo and everywhere I found one. While the motor was out I serviced the trans (filter and seal) and radiator. She runs like a champ now and sounds great! Youtube had some great videos and my local Ford dealership had a couple of awesome diesel dudes that gave me tips and advise.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, great to hear! X2 on the photo too. I think I'd like to borrow your energy for a week or two...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track