Oil Pressure Sender Going Out???

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, new one, changed oil last weekend, and of course, it also got very cold. Start truck first in the am, runs just fine, let it warm up, leave for work. What I noticed is when I get to a light/stop sign, oil pressure guage dies, check guage light comes on. Take off from light/sign, guage goes up to normal, light goes off, next light/stop sign, same thing. Truck still is running fine. Get to work, shut it off, start again later, everything is as normal. Seems coincidental to the oil change. I'm thinking that the stock sender is going out, like my transmittion one did a few years back, since the truck has not siezed. Could the cold starts be affecting it initially? Bizarre, can anyone direct me to where the stock "sender" is? Also, any ideas? It's not throwing any codes as well.

Thanks,

Barrett

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Excursion did the same thing last year. Totally freaked me out. Wound up being the sending unit. I did not have time to monkey with it myself and let Ford do it while I had it in for something else. So, therefore, I don't know where it is located. Hope this helps!

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg,

Thanks for the input. Makes me feel a little better about my diagnosis.

Thanks Dave, I had that first link as a favorite too, but couldnt get it to work as well earlier.

FWIW, here is another one I found from powerstrokediesel.com website. I have it downloaded now.........

http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/EF_456.pdf

Looks like it's only a $35.00 part at least.....

B

makuloco2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have changed quite a few oil sensing units on the 6.0 common enough. Also if you low pressure oil was that low it would starve the high pressure pump and your truck would die out before any damage anyway.

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
man I am glad I read this tread. My truck started doing this and was freaking out. my gauge is showing nothing at the moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track