Question oil smell in cab

myf250fx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 6.0 with 121k miles, I recently started getting a really strong smell of what i think is oil burning off. I have only noticed this after you drive the truck pretty hard and then stop and let it idle. I also have just noticed that the passenger side of the engine is covered in oil and I can not find where it is coming from.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the truck have a long crank when starting - Longer than 2-4 seconds?

myf250fx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, and another thing that I forgot to mention is yesterday I noticed it just started puking coolent back out the resevoir.

myf250fx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I said yes about the long crank. but now that I really think about it the 2 to 4 seconds is about right sorry for the wrong info and thanks for any info you can give me.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Sounds like a leaking valve cover gasket, or something similar. If the valve cover gaskets leak, the oil goes right down on the exhaust manifolds, causing the burnt oil smell. Take the truck to a car wash and hose everything off on that right side and see if you can spot where the oil is coming from. Could it be head gaskets leaking?, maybe that's why it leaks oil and pukes coolant? Some of the 6.0 guys will know more, just a thought.

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for bubbles in the coolant , this is usually a good indicator of a blown head gasket . If it is blowing coolant out after you run it hard I would say it's a pretty good chance that you have a blown head gasket .

myf250fx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There are no bubbles in the coolant, there is no white smoke from the exhaust, the puking coolant is very minor. There is no loss of power, no hard starting is it possible that the EGR cooler is going bad?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64