Oily bell housing

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Something that you might insist that your dealer perform for you if you have a 6.0. There was an oily film on the bottom of my truck's bell housing that I wanted to ensure that was NOT a rear seal leak. There is a TSB that requires the injection of ultraviolet dye into the crankcase oil, then operation of the truck for awhile to distribute the dye. If any dye shows up on the outside of the engine, you have a leak.

While my truck was in for the reflash yesterday, the tech did the checking around with the ultraviolet light. The dye had been in the crankcase for about a month. Sure enough, a defective rear main seal. The truck goes into the dealership next week for warranty service. Just a heads up, some of this stuff is excess assembly lube, some of it is crankcase oil.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting you shouild mention that... I have about 550 miles on mine, and I have black oil goop on the bottom of mine as well. Funny thing is the engine oil is perfectly clean.

I bleed little blue ovals when cut, but for $45K, that thing better be tighter than any shoe I ever met... well, at least at first... :sorry

powerstrokeit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my truck is it the shop right now for the "leak". They thought it was the front seal, but I have not heard the final outcome yet.

powerstrokeit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back yesterday from the dealer for the engine leak. They said it was a leaky cam position sensor. It took the dealer 8 days to replace the instrument cluster and fix the leak.

Reaction score
I've got one drop on my bell housing - been there for the last 30K miles - heck, could be the same drop for all I know. My rule of thumb is - if it don't hit the driveway - then it's not a leak :rolleyes:

Ron

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Got the truck back today. They replaced the rear main seal AND a rocker carrier seal, along with a new rocker arm cover gasket. To get to all of that they had to evacuate the A/C and move the plumbing out of the way, then recharge the system when they were through. They had the truck three days, put me in a rental car from Enterprise at no charge. As they royally ticked me off at the last service, they REALLY treated me WELL this time. I'm just glad this wasn't on my dime.:2c

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14