Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SAD!
We have on that buzzes the area regularly ,, quite impressive

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Wow thats a big downer! All those man hours to restore it and take care of it and on top of that already a very rare piece of amierican history. Glad no one was hurt. Poor plane. Well looks like there is a little sheet metal left for parts.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad, Very Sad.. to see it meet it's end that way.

Saw that 'ol War-Bird many times.. :(

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw one in McKinney, TX a few months back along with a P51 Mustang and a B24. Got to walk through both the B17 and B24. Very nice planes. Hate to see this one go, but glad everyone was okay.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone follow the documentary of the one(IIRC ) they were restoring in the Antarctic or some far away frozen place ? they intended to fly it out
they rebuilt/replaced everything and put 4 new motors and props on

when they were testing it a toolbox slid into something inside and hit a component
it burned to the ground :(

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone follow the documentary of the one(IIRC ) they were restoring in the Antarctic or some far away frozen place ? they intended to fly it out
they rebuilt/replaced everything and put 4 new motors and props on

when they were testing it a toolbox slid into something inside and hit a component
it burned to the ground :(

Yes, that one was a B-29.. and YES.. WHAT A BUMMER :eek::eek: 2+ years of work, in the far reaches of Greenland. One Mech died before the attempted Fly Out.. because he put the B=29 recovery, in front of his health.. Then as they taxied for take off.. a forgotten fuel line to an Avgas powered cabin heater lit off.. Burned To The Ground.. in place.

After being on Staff, at 20+ "Air Shows", for the Navy Base I worked at, I got to know quite a few of the old.. War Bird crews that Performed, or were on Static display at the shows. Their dedication to the restoration and preservation of those 'ol Vintage Aircraft.. was Phenomenal.

Many had lost Wives & Family due to it. And most any one of them would Tear up about those 'ol birds.. at an After The Show.. BS & Beer drink'n session.

Amazing guyz (and Galz)

I can't Imagine the Loss & Heart ache... The Flight & Ground Crew of the "Liberty Bell" must be going through, right now. :(:(

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I remember a documentary on an old wwII plane that was locked up in ice in the antarctic or somethin? Might of been a P-38 or somethin? They had to drill through TONS of ice and melt the ice with warm water from hoses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58