Overhead Console Repair Questions???

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
okay guys. after installing my cab lights, i figured i would take a look at my overhead console to see if i could bring it back to life. I followed the instructions in the first few posts of the FTE thread i found on this. Everything was intact upon inspection of the circuit board and when i press on the screen really hard, it allows me to see the display for a second or two and then sometimes it will stay on for 5 minutes or so and slowly fades out. Does anyone know a cheap fix for this problem? it looks like another guy over on FTE spent $130 to fix his replacing the entire circuit board, but to be honest with you i'll never spend that much money to fix my Lie-o-meter and compass that works half the time. I can think of much better thins to spend that much on for my truck elsewhere. Anyone? :dunno

here is the link to the other thread on this
02 F250 Overhead Console Gone Out - Page 11 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clint, If you're not seeing the typical loose reistors and/or capacitors, recheck the entire circuit board area carefully under good magnification and good lighting. Make sure the ends of each component appear to be still soldered to the pad and aren't just laying on it. If you can push on the display iteself and get it to work temporarily you should be able to find the cause. When you're pushing, it is likely flexing the pcb and separating a cracked solder joint or other connection which has become intermittant due to excess heat but not enough to break it completely loose. Sorry if I rambled. Good luck.

on edit - if you can leave the overhead plugged in but expose the circuit board, trying flexing different areas on the board with a blunt pencil or something similar to see which area of the board seems to affect the function while it's still hooked up.

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
The link still didnt work for me.

Sounds like a really good idea randy. Good catch! That didnt even dawn on me, but makes perfect sense. Ill check it real close tomorrow when i get some time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track