Overhead Display Trip Computer

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
I just bought my '04 Lariat and the display for the overhead display is out. It's physically there but doesn't come on or light up. Where do I start looking? The Mode and E/M buttons have lights when the marker lights are on. If it's electrical is there a fuse? If I need to replace a part which one? Ford only I assume? I've been scouring the forums and can't find any information. Thanks.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a fairly common problem. My 03 is doing the same thing. There are 4 or 6 resistors on the board that look like chicklets, and over time the solder comes loose and they start having intermittent connection, and finally they fall off. I need to take the console down and fix the resistors on mine. If you do a google search, there are some articles out there on fixing this issue.

Or, you can goto the dealership and buy a replacement..... last one I heard of someone buying was something like $700......

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
What about getting the console off the headliner? I don't see any obvious fasteners or release tabs. There are two possible tabs in the sunglass compartment. Are those pressed outward to release the shell? I think I can tackle the soldering job if I can get the part out.

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Okay. During my spring break next week (high school PE/ health teacher here in Post Falls). I watched several videos on pushing the components back into the circuit board and adding a touch of solder. Shouldn't be tough. I had a quote of $129 to fix it from the shop that will do work on my truck. I trust them but I think I'll be doing this one.

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Well, It took longer to solder with my ape fingers and tight area to work in then to remove and replace the unit. I thought the resistors would be a bit bigger! I need to work on my soldering skills. :rolleyes: I'm back in business. I now know what direction I'm driving in again! ;) Thanks for the help. The more I crawl around and drive this truck the more I'm diggin' it! :sweet

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58