Overheating????

brmt41

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yet another issue it seems with the truck. Last week I was towing a 25ft boat over the Sierra Mtn's and my temp needle spiked to red, the coolant warning light flashed and a message of "reduced engine power" flashed. The truck fell to about 25mph. Once I cleared the grade, temp needle went back to normal, no more message and truck regained normal power. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

rpbfixit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my 08 250 has done that 4 or 5 times w/o pulling anything. cant figure it out! someone in another forum told me to check the fan clutch but that was not the prob. still stumped on this one. hope we can both get some feedback on this.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep your foot in it your just over fueling the motor. The temps. will go up and the truck can not go any faster so you have to back your foot out of the petal and find the spot the motor likes,The fan can only do so much cooling also were you in tow mode or in overdrive? I ask because your tranny is also cooled by the rad. and if you red line the the coolent you may have cooked your tranny fluid too. Which will give you tranny problems.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another issue it seems with the truck. Last week I was towing a 25ft boat over the Sierra Mtn's and my temp needle spiked to red, the coolant warning light flashed and a message of "reduced engine power" flashed. The truck fell to about 25mph. Once I cleared the grade, temp needle went back to normal, no more message and truck regained normal power. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

my 08 250 has done that 4 or 5 times w/o pulling anything. cant figure it out! someone in another forum told me to check the fan clutch but that was not the prob. still stumped on this one. hope we can both get some feedback on this.

Did your trucks In Fact overheat ?? The reason I ask is.. Seems there was a post on here sometime back about some BAD Temp sensors sending bogus info to the 6.4L ECM/PCM's, causing the the engines/trans's to go into the "limp" mode ??

A TSB maybe ??

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

brmt41

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No, it actually never did overheat. The first time it happened, pulled over, popped the hood and it was as cool as expected. Started up hill again, within 2 minutes back to "overheating", but I just kept it going and it never actually overheated. Right before the trip i had my oil pressure sensor replaced, I wonder if by some chance that could have been connected in some strange way. rpbfixit, I'll let ya know what I find out. Dogman, was in towmode, and I did have my foot in it. Interesting, about finding a sweet spot, I always assumed the diesel would just tow without question.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it actually never did overheat. The first time it happened, pulled over, popped the hood and it was as cool as expected. Started up hill again, within 2 minutes back to "overheating", but I just kept it going and it never actually overheated. Right before the trip i had my oil pressure sensor replaced, I wonder if by some chance that could have been connected in some strange way. rpbfixit, I'll let ya know what I find out. Dogman, was in towmode, and I did have my foot in it. Interesting, about finding a sweet spot, I always assumed the diesel would just tow without question.

;tu Worth a checkout/look-see. Same might be true on rpbfixit's 08 ?

Joe

rpbfixit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mine DID overheat, i think every fluid in the damn truck was boiling! it hasnt happened in awhile now that the temp. here in texas dropped under 100 for a few weeks. we went through weeks of 105/6/7/8 *F and i suppose that has a lot to do with it. but shouldnt this truck be able to handle those outside temps? this is my first diesel so i really dont know. i'm now wondering if the overheating has messed something else up. any tips on what i should check? i have noticed it cleans the exhaust filter almost every other day. not sure what to do about that either. i'm averaging 9.5 mpg right now. any comments would be appreciated.

brmt41

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow, 9.5mpg!!!. I bought a DPF delete and gas tuner from "gearbox z" along with a K&N Cold Air Intake. Since putting it on I have averaged 24mpg highway and 16/17 around town. Best 1k I have spent. Now I have alot more power an most important, no regen. Very very happy with the set up... Something you should look into for sure. I have a trusted diesel mech here in the town I live in and next week going to talk to him in regards to the issue and some of the ideas presented in the forum. If I hear any revelations I will share with all.

rpbfixit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
after you do the dpf delete does your truck make a bunch of smoke, or noise? dont want that. also, you said a "gas tuner" what is that? i put a superchips cortex 1950 on mine and an airaid air filter but mpg still sucks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Be careful of using K&N Air Filters. They do not filter the incoming air very well and will destroy the intake vanes on your turbocharger. Airaid is good.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58