Painting Front Bumper?

lacastillo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 03 F350 and I would like to black out the whole truck and we all know the chrome bumper is the biggest piece.

Does anybody have any advice on how to properly paint the front bumper or know where to buy one already pre-painted online? I was thinking about sanding it down and rattle can it. Anybody done this before?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have painted several chrome bumpers in the past. The first one I hit it with the DA sander to try to break the chrome finish and then primed and painted it. It didn't stick very well at all and most of the paint started to peal off in a short period of time.

The second I sent the bumper out to the local sandblaster, had him blast it and then primed it with 2 coats epoxy primer, gave it a light sanding to take out the imperfections then painted it. It is still running around town and is hardly showing any signs of wear, rust or paint flake.

Cheers, Patrick.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
There is a product out there that is used to help paint stick to plastic, rubber, chrome, etc. type surfaces.

It has the name bulldog or something like that.

PHXF250

Diesel Freak
Reaction score
A Local Powdercoater quoted me $150 to blast off the Crome and Powder Coat the Bumper Black. I am not trying to match factory paint as my truck is white
PHXGlock

T VALK

PAINT BY VALK
Reaction score
You dont have to blast chrome off bumper just have it roughed up by the blaster or you will have a mess . Buy a painted grille chrome ones dont blast well.