Parts markup/rip off ?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We rant about Ford Dealer markups for parts ?

I was reminded....FORD is not alone.

Yesterday.. bought a fuel shutoff valve at O'Reily's for $6.?? OTD. Needed 2, he only had one. Bought it.

While I was there, needed a (spare) 33781 Wix, Pre pump filter, $14.86 OTD. Bought it too.

Stopped by my Local independent parts house for the Other.. needed shutoff valve.

SAME valve, SAME maker, SAME package even.. $28.56, +tax. I Asked him about the price dif.. he goes: :dunno. Jus' For the Heck of it..Asked him to quote me price on a 33781 Wix fuel filter.. $42.65, +tax:eek::eek:

I'm not one to quibble over a couple'a bucks.. but That Was Ridiculous. Some-one's pricing is off, or someone is rip'n someone off.. but it wasn't guna be me.

Buyer Beware ? Shop around ?

Joe

(I've Deleted the local guy OFF my iPhone Favorits list) (went to NAPA today.. got the same exact second valve for $7.?? OTD)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, when I am buying parts I get the yellow pages out and start calling. I have never bought anything from Amazon.com. The other day
I wanted a GooseNeck hitch for my truck, I only have a Fifthwheel hitch. I looked and looked and a buddy called and ask if I tried Amazon.com.
No sure didn't, well they had the same one maker and all with free shipping for $80.00 buck less. Yes it pays to shop around.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your local parts guy can't compete with the big stores like O'Riely or Auto Zone. They have to charge more, but you get better service.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your local parts guy can't compete with the big stores like O'Riely or Auto Zone. They have to charge more, but you get better service.

Dave

I totally agree Dave.. but 50+ % is totally Out'a Line. He has affiliated himself, in some way, with Carquest.. don't know the depth, but with those kinds of markups.. he's lost my bidness.

Everything is going up, in price, but not THAT much.. if we shop around.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I had a friend who owned a local parts store in the Bay Area. He had a great business and did very well. He treated most customers very well and gave us about the best deal he could and still survive. Then Auto Zone, and the others started to make headway into his market and he could not make it. He sold out and a year later, the guy who bought the store closed the doors. It is tough out there. He had an auto machine shop and that is what we all missed. :(

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Dave. I'm think'n thats what is happening to our Local guy. He closed his machine shop 2 years ago.

Sad to see it happen but.. it's a "Sign Of The Times". Everything is Big Box, Fast Food (Parts).

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Heck, check this..
I was quoting an alternator job the other day, the guy throws the BS flag.. "I called Auto Zone, and they'll sell me the alternator for $***"
And the best part, they were going to sell it to him, for LESS than they were selling it to me! And this is not the first time that has happened.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Heck, check this..
I was quoting an alternator job the other day, the guy throws the BS flag.. "I called Auto Zone, and they'll sell me the alternator for $***"
And the best part, they were going to sell it to him, for LESS than they were selling it to me! And this is not the first time that has happened.
Yeah a good way to get your sales rep honest in a hurry :lmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64