performance for 7.3

Matt89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 7.3 non powerstroke in myb f250. Looking to rebuild and I want a lot more power this time. I definantly want a turbo but if there is any cylinder head modification or camshafts available, is this motor capable of having a chip installed? Could I change the injection system from a newer applicatoon that would maybe allow me to use a performance chip? I have never really done any work on a diesel motor but have built a few small block ford race motors.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have a non-computer motor and no chip will help you. You can turbo it if you want, but there are no kits that I know of. This will be a lot of work. The motor will take it if you can figure out how to deliver the power.

Dave

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks (bankspower.com) makes a complete turbo kit including exhaust for your truck. According to there specs the kit makes an extra 80hp and 140lb/ft of torque. I recently re and re a 92 f350 7.3 and I found that by just tweaking up the injector pump it made quite a bit more power. Another option to condsider would be injectors depending how far you want to take it. In my eyes the turbo kit is the best bang for your buck, and reliable.
The naturally aspirated 7.3 (non-turbo) engine is pretty simple mechanical injectors, mechanical feul pump, and so on. There is not any chip or programmer you can use to get more power. The powerstroke (94 and up) has a completely different injection system and it is computer controlled you would need a complete truck to convert yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58