PIE for 2004 6 disc?

ZBeeble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was referred to this site by someone saying that CHP mustang may be able to advise on the availabilty of a PIE adaptor for a 2004 6 disc CD changer in an Excursion. So here I am.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Hey Z, just in case Bill is caught up with the Christmas celebrating, I thought I might be able to answer this one, this might be what you are looking for:

P.I.E FRD04-AUX Auxiliary Input Converter
This is for the radio with the CAN bus connector used for the DVD system. If your radio is a 2004 with the CD-6 radio, this should be the one you need.
Here's a page with a description:

P.I.E. FRD04-AUX

If your radio has the CD/AUX button, your converter would be the FRD03-AUX.

P.I.E. FRD03-AUX

Merry Christmas!

Richard

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZBeeble, Welcome, glad you dropped by and hope RRay was able to help you. Hope you will drop by again, there is always someone willing to help you out around this place. Come back often.:thumbs :sweet

ZBeeble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
Hey Z, just in case Bill is caught up with the Christmas celebrating, I thought I might be able to answer this one, this might be what you are looking for:

P.I.E FRD04-AUX Auxiliary Input Converter
This is for the radio with the CAN bus connector used for the DVD system. If your radio is a 2004 with the CD-6 radio, this should be the one you need.
Here's a page with a description:

P.I.E. FRD04-AUX

If your radio has the CD/AUX button, your converter would be the FRD03-AUX.

P.I.E. FRD03-AUX

OK... but here's my confusion: I don't have an 'AUX' or a 'CD/AUX' button. My unit is a 6 disc changer, with the changer in the dash (not external).

The FRD04-AUX page (referenced above) references that I need a CD/AUX button.

I suppose I'd be just as happy to replace the head unit if I could find someone that could do that while keeping the function of the steeringwheel controls.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Welcome to the site there ZBeeble.

You answered a question I have had but didn't ask. My new 05' SuperCrew has a aux button and the book says it is mp3 capable but doesn't say how. I guess I need one of those aux input converters to play my iPod in the truck:)

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
ZBeeble said:
OK... but here's my confusion: I don't have an 'AUX' or a 'CD/AUX' button. My unit is a 6 disc changer, with the changer in the dash (not external).

The FRD04-AUX page (referenced above) references that I need a CD/AUX button.

I suppose I'd be just as happy to replace the head unit if I could find someone that could do that while keeping the function of the steeringwheel controls.

Look at the face of the radio on the right side. If you have a CD-6 radio with CAN bus, the buttons to the right of the radio display will read from top to bottom MUTE AUX

If your radio does not have the CAN bus, the radio should have a CD/AUX button below the mute button to access an additional external CD player.

If your radio has neither, the CD-6 radio you have is a Visteon CD-6, and the CD button on your radio is a two function switch. Press once and the internal CD changer will activate. When the P.I.E. adapter is plugged into the CD port (look at the picture below to confirm this is what your radio looks like, the socket second from the left will be empty if you do not have an external CD changer) pressing the CD button again will activate the P.I.E. adapter as CD 2.

ford-six-disk-small.jpg

Try the FRDN-AUX adapter if you have the Visteon CD-6, which is what it seems that you have.

FRDN-AUX adapter

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Richard

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Welcome to the site there ZBeeble.

You answered a question I have had but didn't ask. My new 05' SuperCrew has a aux button and the book says it is mp3 capable but doesn't say how. I guess I need one of those aux input converters to play my iPod in the truck:)

Crumm, using one of these P.I.E. adapters is how you can route an iPod signal into the radio using the AUX input. Adding an additional input switcher from Soundgate will allow you to split the AUX input to three input sources. I am in the process of installing the Sirius satellite radio and an iPod interface into my truck by this method. I will be publishing a how to article featuring the 05 and newer trucks in the very near future.

Regards,

Richard

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Richard you've been appointed late model Ford Audio system consultant :sweet

Here's a couple photos I shot from our series 815 CD6 in our 02 X.
You'll see both the 16 pin and 20 pin connectors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64