Pin weight on a 3-axle

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I am looking at a little three axle fifth wheel travel trailer and was wondering if there is a "standard" as far as what % manufactures put on the pin? It seems to me that on a two axle it is about 33% but what about a 3 axle? The trailer in question weighs 13,000 dry but I need to estimate what is on the pin. I only have a gooseneck ball but the trailer is the kingpin style so I can't just tow it down to the local scales and the guy selling it already sold his truck. If it was a two axle there would probably be about 4300 lbs on the pin which is more than I want to pack on my single rear wheel truck but I am thinking that when they add another axle the amount of weight they put on the pin is decreased. If the weight is closer to 3000 lbs I might just buy the trailer. We were really in the market for something around 30 feet but this 41 footer is awful nice and the price is right. 90K new but selling for 17K used :thumbs It is in new condition even though it is over 10 years old..

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
crumm
thats a big tralier triple axles are heavy weights. either way still look for 18 to 25 % of the GVWR to be on the pin
with tree axles I would imagine the gvwr is close to 18k, given a set of three 5200 or 6k axles
what brand ??

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I forget the brand name, I just glanced at it thinking it was too big for me but have been thinking about it for a couple of weeks and it might be worth another look. I will snap some photos next weekend when we go look again.

It has a sticker that claims 13K dry weight so it would probably be 16K once we load up all our gear and a tank of water. The water and gear will all be on or behind the axles so they should not effect the pin weight. If it is 25% I think we would be OK. I have overloads and airbags but I don't want any tire trouble. I use to pack a 3000lb camper without a problem so if this doesn't have much over 3000 it would be fine. I just want to steer clear of it if it has 4K or more on the pin.

By the way once we hook the boat up behind it our "TARF" will be right around 26,000 :)

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Crumm said:
It has a sticker that claims 13K dry weight so it would probably be 16K once we load up all our gear and a tank of water. The water and gear will all be on or behind the axles so they should not effect the pin weight. If it is 25% I think we would be OK. I have overloads and airbags but I don't want any tire trouble. I use to pack a 3000lb camper without a problem so if this doesn't have much over 3000 it would be fine. I just want to steer clear of it if it has 4K or more on the pin.

By the way once we hook the boat up behind it our "TARF" will be right around 26,000 :)

yep most fivers do not exceed 25% of GVWR on the pin which in your case could be 4k pounds,
i would check with the rating tags and see what the man. recommends for a pin wt.
ours varies between 1800-2500 but can go as high as 3400 lbs
either way your pretty heavy for the srw 350, and 6k over gcvwr, the bags should help quite a bit to maintain a level condition.

you can never have enough TARF :D

TXiceman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As an average, most 5ers will have about 20% of the weight on the pin. The number of axles make little difference. They use 3 axles, because the weight is too much for two axles.

Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14