please help

fordf3507.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well it a long one. First off truck was running good, I installed a set of baby swamps and the problems started. After the install I drove it for 100 miles or so. The hpop was purged it started right up. Had a vibration like a miss. Drove it for a couple days it did not clear up. Pulled and sent the injectors back. They went through them and sent them back. I re-installed them. And the problem was way worse. Truck starts harder, shakes like crazy for 10-15 mins than clears up for a little until up to full temp. Than shakes-misses really bad. The truck has all new motorcraft uvch new icp cam sensor I rebuilt entire fuel bowl and new fuel pump plus ipr. Things I have noticed, it has banks intercooler on it. When I remove a boot from it, it has a decent amount of oil in them. Coolant is not black and fuel in bowl was not either. It does have a little more blow-by than I think it should. Its not puffing it out. Its rather like steam. The truck sounds good when running just shakes or misses. It has the shake at light rpm lug. And after hard throttle it will shake and tach will do a dance. It seems to clear up if it sits and idles for a while. Buzz and contribution test good. No codes. I'm stumped here. Possible hoop or idm. Please help I'm out of options. Thanks very much

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Air in the fuel/fuel pressure ? Or both (?) caused by the Pick up foot (Duck bill) in the fuel tank being plugged ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
These trucks are know to blow head gaskets. What you described sounds like a head gasket caused miss. Is the truck using any coolant? Do you see a white colored smoke at start up? Does it smell like coolant? My truck gets a lot of oil in the air intake due to the crank case breather being terminated in the intake.

Dave

fordf3507.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks

Well it a long one. First off truck was running good, I installed a set of baby swamps and the problems started. After the install I drove it for 100 miles or so. The hpop was purged it started right up. Had a vibration like a miss. Drove it for a couple days it did not clear up. Pulled and sent the injectors back. They went through them and sent them back. I re-installed them. And the problem was way worse. Truck starts harder, shakes like crazy for 10-15 mins than clears up for a little until up to full temp. Than shakes-misses really bad. The truck has all new motorcraft uvch new icp cam sensor I rebuilt entire fuel bowl and new fuel pump plus ipr. Things I have noticed, it has banks intercooler on it. When I remove a boot from it, it has a decent amount of oil in them. Coolant is not black and fuel in bowl was not either. It does have a little more blow-by than I think it should. Its not puffing it out. Its rather like steam. The truck sounds good when running just shakes or misses. It has the shake at light rpm lug. And after hard throttle it will shake and tach will do a dance. It seems to clear up if it sits and idles for a while. Buzz and contribution test good. No codes. I'm stumped here. Possible hoop or idm. Please help I'm out of options. Thanks very much

I have thought about this happening. Only thing is, is it runs the same on both front and rear tank. But who knows they could both be clogged up. When the weather gets warmer I am going to drop the tanks. And the truck hasn't been using coolant that I've noticed. It has been real cold and the rad has only gotten warm to the touch. The rad over flow cap does have slight pressure behind it when I open it. But the level never changes. When I start it, it does smoke some but all I notice is the smell of raw diesel. Thanks for the help

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not real sure on the 94-97's but unless ALL the sensors are providing whatever PCM/ECM you have... the Temperature and Pressure data it wants & needs.. It Won't run right (as you know). You might wana give all the sensor connections a Good going over ?

Fuel pressure good ?

Batteries in good shape ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The raw diesel smell at start-up would dismiss the head gaskets theory, at least for now. Are you running any fuel conditioner for winter thickening of the fuel?

Dave

fordf3507.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That is true. I have replaced a idm, icp, Crank, air temp, and everything to do with under valve cover. And pigtails. their is a few that I haven't looked at yet. That might explain why the idle smooth out considerately at about about 1/4 temp through half till for a few, than it seems to get rough and choppy again at normal temp. I had a gauge on fuel pressure and it stayed consistent while driving. New bats and alternator also. When I get time I am gonna go over all the pig tail splices on the 4 injector/gp plug connectors that I installed and double check them. I think a compression test would be a good idea also while I have it apart. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64