Plug-in block heater

Fireball57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll get right to it. Here in Michigan the temps are running in single digits. My ol' Kenworth got plugged in with no problems. But, are there any issues to plugging my 09 F350 CrewCab in overnite? Will I need to change my synthetic oil sooner? Yeah, I know, newbie question but, maybe others are wondering. Thanks, much and have a great week.:coffee

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Many here use a timer for the block heater. You don't need 8 or 9 hours of heat for a good start in the morning. Synthetic oil is a very good upgrade. Use 5W40 Syn oil of your choice and you will be starting every morning no problems. There are several guys on here that live in the U.P. and they should add their 2 cents wroth. Welcome and enjoy!!

Dave :)

J. Vallandingha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I use a timer on mine and set it to run for 2 hours before I leave for work. Glow plug light only stays lit for about 3 seconds, truck fires right up, and I get heat almost immediately. I am in central Indiana, so cold here is certainly not like cold in some of the further north areas. Still, a couple hours of block heater seems to be sufficient.

Powerstroke2000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck was built for the lower part of the continent... thus has no block heater that I can find. What's the procedure on installing one folks? I've seen them on Ebay (kit) but thought perhaps a few on here may have added one to the 6.4?

Doubled450

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck was built for the lower part of the continent... thus has no block heater that I can find. What's the procedure on installing one folks? I've seen them on Ebay (kit) but thought perhaps a few on here may have added one to the 6.4?

I know the 6.0 had the internals for the block heater. It was in a freeze plug towards the rear of the engine on the pass side I believe. All you paid for was the plug and wiring. Not sure if the 6.4 is the same. Should be straight forward to install either way. I ordered mine with the heater even in SoCal. I lived in the hi desert at the time and it would get cold at night. I would leave plugged in over night and truck would fire quickly and idle smooth. Heat was on right away.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't need to leave it plugged in all night. 3 or 4 hours is good, most of the time. It will get the block warm so you have heat almost at once.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64