Plug location

Smokeem

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put a trailer plug inside the bed for my fiver. I was just wondering where is the best location or where have you guys mounted them

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got mine mounted on the driver's side, just in front of the fender well.

Easy to get to, you can hook it up without climbing in the truck, and it's out of the way..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got mine mounted on the driver's side, just in front of the fender well.

Easy to get to, you can hook it up without climbing in the truck, and it's out of the way..

X2. You can loop the pigtail around yer hitch leg to keep it from flop'n 'round. I install a SS eye on the rear driver side leg to hook the break away wire to.. can Plug in and hook everything up from the rear.. standing on the ground.

Life is Good :sweet

Smokeem

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do you think that you could put it behind the wheel well? Also I run a goosneck adaptor for now so I've got nothing to wrap it around. I don't think that the cord is long enough to go to the front and be safe when turning.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think that you could put it behind the wheel well? Also I run a goosneck adaptor for now so I've got nothing to wrap it around. I don't think that the cord is long enough to go to the front and be safe when turning.

Yes there is enough room to mount it behind the wheel on the left side. Make sure you can reach plug with the tailgate up or down.:clap:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine is 9" forward of the Tailgate post, on the driver side. You can drill the hole, then feed the wires down between the Fender wall and the Bed wall. Then tie into the OEM, bumper mounted trailer plug-in wires.

Hint ? The schematic for wiring is molded/printed on the bumper plug-in cover.

Smokeem

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Joe could you possibly get me a pic of where it is installed. I was looking for it behind but I think that it will have to be pretty low because up higher looks like it will be to close the the outer sheet metal. Thanks for the tip I don't have to worry about wiring it tho I just got to get it drilled and mounted since my dad is an electrician and I let him handle all my wiring it's much safer that way

Thanks Rick

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option is if you have a connector at your rear bumper and you are going to use a 5th wheel tail gate, you can run it to the plug and not have to drill into your bed. That is what I do, and it works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg