pod mod

GSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I still need a new deck that controls the iPod. Have heard the Alpine decks are slow and limited. Is there a better hook up??? :cool:

Max Power

Reaction score
What do you have now? Stock? There are quite a few different options. You can get modules to allow inputs to stock units. You could always go with an FM modulator. Let us know what you have and maybe we can help.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FM modulators should be a last resort. They just dont have the clarity and bandwidth of a direct wired unit.

GSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have that $100 FM thing the pod plugs into, and it sucks, not sure if a PIE adapter will work with the lame stock tape deck it came with, besides the sound out of it is pretty bad!

Immortl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pioneer is supposed to coming out with this unit sometime this month. It connects the ipod to their head units over their IP Bus system. I'm waiting on that as well as their new AVIC-D1 head unit. I've had good luck with Pioneer head units in the past and have no problems buying another (sold my last one with the truck).

Max Power

Reaction score
That't pretty cool if you have a pioneer. Isn't pioneer coming out with a AVIC-D2 or something like that as well?

Immortl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They have a few new units coming out. I'm trying to decide actually between a few of them.

AVIC-N2 - updated version of N1, single din unit with fold out screen. Plays DVD movies, only has 1 disc slot though so it's either nav dvd, movie dvd, or music cd/dvd. It does have a removable face for security. Not concerned with music CDs though (ipod for that) and don't watch movies while driving so I could just leave the navigation disc in.

AVIC-D1 - new model, full screen double din unit. Has two disc slots although DVD one only accepts navigation disc and won't play DVDs. I really like the idea of the built in full screen, but would miss the detachable face of the N2.

Both use their internal sensors to detect when vehicle is in motion and limit functionality of the navigation menus (and prevent movie playback for the N2). Depending on how limited the navigation menu is, it could drive me nuts. The Jeep one does that now and I can't stand it. With that in mind, the older AVIC-N1 (still to be found locally here) looks attractive as motion detection can be evaded (I'd do it for navigation purposes, no intent of watching any movies on this thing).

Last edited:

GSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I love gadgets, but I aint spending $2200 on a raido!

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
GSD said:
I love gadgets, but I aint spending $2200 on a raido!

I have a P.I.E. adapter coming that should work with my 6CD to attach my I Pod to. This Place may be able to fix you up (if it's an 05 - they have not got a kit yet, and 04's are a maybe) - I will find out soon. I am just not sure yet how I can get it to work with the rear radio controls.

GSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That thing looks sweet! But it says it aint available yet. Make a post when you get yours!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64