poor man's egr bypass

Jeppers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
being a machinist for a living I was looking at an egr cooler and started thinking if you made a 3/8" thick plug for both ends of the exhaust ports press them into place then weld them what you would have is a sealed tank that would allow the coolant to enter the back side pressurize the tank then exit thru the port going into the intake.
then make a slug with an inverted radius on the end to plug the up pipe this slug would be the same dia and pressed into the up pipe then welded at the flange so no heat from the exhaust can get to the cooler any ideas I am just trying to get my truck running in time for camping season

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
My experience has been to use common sense, if this is the problem we need to fix it. The EGR needs to be plugged, and as long as the heat will not affect the cooler the water circulating in it should not be a problem. I have dismantled EGR since they came in existence in the 70's. I gained from 20 to 26 MPG on a slant six. by tying the EGR valve open. and plugging the hoses. Should not be much difference on these PSD's. I feel lots of good ideas here that work well. All I have done so far is to disconnect my EGR valve when I go on a long trip. Never had a Code yet. I leave it on for locals because I don't want it to plug when I just jig around. But Its mostly closed at Idle is it. and Does it close when the engine is hot? What is the cycle of this valve does anyone knows.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCM controls the EGR valve. You need to either unplug the EGR valve or have a custom tune using an SCT to prevent the EGR valve from operating. It will depend on your year truck but some will throw a CEL or code. Seems as the '04-older 6.0's will not throw codes, but the '05-newer 6.0s will throw codes.

Here are the basics. If you have a good EGR cooler with no issues, then you can just plug the EGR up-pipe with a 1.5" piece of round stock. Check your up-pipe for a scoop, remove the scoop if there is one (Generally '05s and newer have this scoop), weld it up to prevent any heat transfer to the cooler. I have ran like this for over 2 years with no issues.

IF your EGR cooler is ruptured or in question then you should do the full on EGR delete. This requires you to mod the intake manifold and EGR up-pipe. This is the most labor intensive version of deleteing the EGR on these trucks.

Jeppers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my egr cooler is leaking right now so I am looking at a way to bypass the cooler and still have the truck looking stock

robinson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 6.0L it is boiling coolant from the EGR cooler I took it to a shop they said I need to replace EGR cooler and oil cooler it has to big of temp differance between the two it only does it when I an pulling a trailer it also looses power no white smoke out of tail pipe so i was thinking about unplugging the EGR valve to keep it closed or bypassing it completely maybe it wouldn't boil the coolant please give me some feed back thanks

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
well i have the sct tune to turn the egr off and have unplugged it before and all that and my egr cooler is cracked and so there is no way that ive found to keep it cool besides keep poourin water into it haha but hopefully after next week no more problems as i will have all of the egr system deleted and brand new shiney arp headstuds in place

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64