Powder coating wheels

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody powder coat wheels? How did it work? What prep was needed? And the kicker...$$$?

twotonevert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size are they? I had some old fox body turbine wheels powder coated a few years ago, 40 bucks each and there was no prep work really on my part. I did a silver and they turned out great. The best feature was nothing stuck to them and you could hose them off clean. I believe they were a 15 inch wheel if I remember correctly.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size are they? I had some old fox body turbine wheels powder coated a few years ago, 40 bucks each and there was no prep work really on my part. I did a silver and they turned out great. The best feature was nothing stuck to them and you could hose them off clean. I believe they were a 15 inch wheel if I remember correctly.

Thinking of doing my stock OBS wheels, different look, less cash than new wheels.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I don't want to sound negative but I know of a truck that had aluminum aftermarket wheels powder coated flat black and it lasted maybe 2 years. I'm sure like every thing the prep work before the paint had more to do with the paint peeling than anything else. They did look good tho.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i had been wanting to do this for a couple of years now...looked into it. spoke to 2 different guys on procedure/cost...the first guy i have totally forgotten everything he said (maybe cuz i did not feel comfortable speaking to him)...

the second guy said he or i needed to send wheels off to a place to do a acid type cleaning bath, then he'd pc them the color i wanted. it was a week turn-around from time at cleaners to time done drying at $200 for rims (and $50 for running boards - want them black too) BUT that was 2 years ago...:doh:

picture the black on red theme....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg