Power Lock Malfunction

whitecc250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Having trouble with the power door locks on my 2000 Powerstroke CC 7.3 diesel. It seems that after a mishap with my granddaughter playing with the power door lock trying to keep others out of the truck, that now the remote or main driver side lock button will not fully lock or unlock the rear doors. At first, I was thinking that the remote lock may have a discharged battery, but the lock button on the driver side door panel will not fully lock the rear doors, either. Is there a main solenoid or relay that drives the electrical mechanism in the doors or is there a a possibility that due to the "holding the button down" loading from the switch may have weakened the actuators in the doors?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Actuators

The actuators are plastic and will only last so long. When the kid was pushing the button they sometimes will quit working then start back to normal, your better of changing them if they are older than 4 years if you use them alot, also grease the rods and latches on a regular basis to prevent actuator failure in the future.

whitecc250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I sorta figured that the fix would involve removal of door panels, but was hoping that just maybe, there would be a relay of some sort that could be replaced under the hood, dash etc., that controls the power going to the locks. I am going to look at one of the malfunctioning door locks maybe this weekend.

Thanks

Danny

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my drivers side actuator, started making a grinding noise when i pressed the lock/unlock switch. works perfect now. Not too bad to replace - hardest part is getting the rods unhooked

Urbanknight

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just did my Drivers side this weekend...

Geared up for the mother of all projects, and ended up taking 1 hour start to finish... Could do it again in probably half the time now...

Not bad, jsut have to disconnect all the rods and things go pretty easy from there.
Here is a picture tutorial if you want to see the project from another guy who did it.
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 - Door Lock Actuator Installation

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just did my door lock actuator replacement. A real easy way to get at the rods, linkages, and worn actuator - remove the outer door handle / lock assembly.

Once you do this, the whole assembly is staring right at you, making it real easy to work on.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg