Power Steering pressure hose

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I figure since I am changing my pump I might as well change the power steering hose that many guys have trouble with. I seem to recall someone talking about a better hose? Should I go with a Ford replacement or just what brand? There is a hose shop in town, would it better to get one made up?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say to get one made I know the hydraulic shop here in town all of the hoses are built to obscene standards and they are all tested in house to 2X DOT specs for brake lines. The failures I've heard of were all a result of the connectors blowing off so I'm thinking that a custom made & tested would be better than an off the shelf products

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
yea thats what i would want if mine hadn't decided to take a dump on me the morning i was moving. i ended up just having to go with the autozone 45 dollar one.

do y'all remember what people were drilling out or modding to make it turn a little smoother at low speeds?

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if there are certain years that have a different pump...

I have an early 99 and I have never really had a problem with steering problems at low speed or sitting still... Mine would whine, but I changed out the fluid with synthetic and it's never gave me a problem since.

My BIL has a 2001 though, and he has had problems. He told me that he's been going into a turn and all of a sudden there is no PS...

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Dieselmaster said:
Do you know if there are certain years that have a different pump...
I think the hose problem is just on the 97-older trucks. It is a design flaw at the end of the hose where it screws in the pump. The steel part of the hose blows out of the fitting that is screwed into the pump..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
ChrisMartinTX said:
do y'all remember what people were drilling out or modding to make it turn a little smoother at low speeds?
Not sure so check into it before you do it but I think it was the hole in the pressure side fitting on the pump. Drilling it out just opens it up for more fluid flow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14