Power Steering

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2011 f350 diesel. Love the truck, but its been in the shop for 2 weeks for a new steering box, then the power steering pump and now again the steering box. The dealership seems to be scratching their heads and I'm wondering if this has been a common problem.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I was at the Ford shop here in town and he said he hadn't had one 2011 in for anything but a oil change. Good Luck, hope they find out what's going on real soon, and also Welcome to SSD.com Hope you come back often. Post a picture of your new truck when you get to drive it some more.

Doug

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if the hydroboost is spitting debris in the system ?

typically the would put an inline filter in the return path if this is suspect

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is hydro boost?
It sounds like it has something to do with the power steering as well and I'm not educated as to what it is.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell

assuming the 2011 has it
the hydro boost uses the power steering pump to add brake assist ,, the conventional vehicles use a brake booster using vacuum but diesels don't create vacuum like a gasser

but honestly they should have had you dialed in by now IMHO

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the education. I guess we will see tomorrow as they have it booked in again. With the hydro boost system, it seems that if they dianosed a faulty pump last time it should have affected my brakes and it didn't. I'm starting to question the information I've been given.

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started with a leaking steering box @ aprox 9000 km. The truck was down 2 weeks while they replaced it. Last week, the power steering simply failed one day. They diagnosed it as a failed pump, replaced the pump and still had the problem. They then assumed they had installed a faulty pump and replaced it again. Still no improvement. They then claim to have spoken with Ford Canada in Toronto and feel it is now the Steering Box again. Today they are changing both the steering box and pump. Through all of this the brakes have never been affected.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It started with a leaking steering box @ aprox 9000 km. The truck was down 2 weeks while they replaced it. Last week, the power steering simply failed one day. They diagnosed it as a failed pump, replaced the pump and still had the problem. They then assumed they had installed a faulty pump and replaced it again. Still no improvement. They then claim to have spoken with Ford Canada in Toronto and feel it is now the Steering Box again. Today they are changing both the steering box and pump. Through all of this the brakes have never been affected.

Hmm.
if the pump fails, so do the brakes..

what exactly is it doing?
no power steering while brakes applied?

sikodiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not all 2011 6.7 diesel have hydro-boost

vacuum brake booster is available for both gasoline and diesel engine vehicles. The vacuum power brake actuation system consists of the following components:

Brake booster assembly
Brake booster check valve
Vacuum hoses
Brake vacuum pump (diesel engine only)

On diesel engine vehicles equipped with a vacuum brake booster, the brake vacuum pump provides the vacuum necessary for power brake assist operation. The brake vacuum pump is a gear-driven pump that is mounted to the front of the engine behind the accessory drive cooling fan driver and is serviced as an assembly.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr