Question Powerstrokehelp.com

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these videos to get an introduction and possibly deeper education on the powerstroke? I'm seeking a good video series that shows me the nuts and bolts of my truck. Would like to start doing as much maintenance as possible my self. Any info would be appreciated.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Well this subject tends to open a can of worms. Basically I would save your money. You can get all the info (MUCH better info) on this forum, for FREE.
That's all I'll say, I think you get the idea :D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this subject tends to open a can of worms. Basically I would save your money. You can get all the info (MUCH better info) on this forum, for FREE.

I'll Second That.

Joe

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Where do I start? I did download the Bible, and am reading that. I'm thinking my starting point should be to baseline and make sure I have all the right filters and fluids. Frankly I don't know what is in there now. What about some checklist?

Appreciate your insight.

I stumbled on the videos as I learn like a bat outta hell from watching versus reading. On my motorcycle forums, we have what are called wrenching sessions, where guys get together to do maintenance and learn their mounts. Does this community do the same? Although I am mechanically inclined, sure would like to see a step, do a step and eat a banana.

Thx

Will

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these videos to get an introduction and possibly deeper education on the powerstroke? I'm seeking a good video series that shows me the nuts and bolts of my truck. Would like to start doing as much maintenance as possible my self. Any info would be appreciated.

I've watched several of their videos, and I'm convinced.
I've also talked to them on the phone concerning a problem I was having, and they were very helpful.

I understand other posters advocating this forum as having "much better info, for free".

Well, "free"? Absolutely. Who's gonna stand behind any of that advice if something goes wrong? "Much better"? I guess that's debatable, but I use this and other forums as just another tool in my inventory.

If they were as close to me (Ok) as they are to you, I'd be using them for sure... every time.

My circumstances have changed over the years, and I am no longer a "wrench head". I no longer LIKE to work on vehicles, but WILL if it's needed. One of the things that is often overlooked is the need for a certain level of experience. Like I said, years ago, I would have had zero problem with tearing down an engine from that era.
Today, especially with the 6.0, I choose to let the pro's handle everything but the basics. I do that, and I do it using quality Ford spec'd parts.

When you start replacing things (doesn't matter what, in my world) use Ford Motorcraft filters/fluids/parts.
Obviously, they're all designed to work best in that engine. I've seen with my own eyes the differences in aftermarket oil and fuel filters for the 6.0, and I'll NEVER buy another aftermarket part for that engine.

The 6.0 is an amazing engine... I'll even call it an engineering marvel. But, at the same time, it can be a friggin' nightmare.

I'm of the opinion that when you get things done RIGHT, you won't have to RE-DO them. Seems to me that since Bill and his crew have been doing nothing but Powerstroke diesels for so many years, chances are they know what they're talking about.
Sure, there are some major investments of money required to "bulletproof" the engine, and that has to be taken into account on a case by case basis.
But, once those modifications are made, you've got a much more reliable engine.

I will face the same decisions should my '05 decide to crater. In the meantime, I'll do what I can myself, use the local dealer until the warranty is completely gone, and keep a weather eye open for any odd noises/smells/burps/chirps/clangs or bangs.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say it. Bill talks alot. Watch your self on his videos. I took my truck to him and after 10K+ in repairs 2 so call new motors, 5 trips up there and back in one year. My 04 was still broken and he would not work on it anymore with out cash. I ended up having to trade the truck in and get another.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Thank you, Dogman, for the real life experience. I would suggest that you do a little google searching for powerstrokehelp and Bill Hewitt. I'd post some links, but there are too many. :lmao I had no idea it was this bad! :eek:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
OMG............ :eek:

EDAS® Alert System! Engine Damage Avoidance System for Powerstroke Powered Trucks!

REALLY OMG.........!!! :eek::eek::eek:

6.0 Powerstroke Master Mechanic Training Series ($99.95 for 30 days)

7.3 Powerstroke Master Mechanic Training Series ($99.95 for 30 days)

6.0L & 7.3L Master Mechanic Combo Subscription ($189.95 for 90 days)
$599.70 VALUE -- Get access to both our 7.3 & 6.0 Powerstroke training modules for one low price!

6.0L & 7.3L Master Mechanic Ultimate Combo Subscription ($499.95 for one year)
**$2,398 VALUE** 1-YEAR of both our 6.0 & 7.3 Master Mechanic Training Series

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say it. Bill talks alot. Watch your self on his videos. I took my truck to him and after 10K+ in repairs 2 so call new motors, 5 trips up there and back in one year. My 04 was still broken and he would not work on it anymore with out cash. I ended up having to trade the truck in and get another.

Thank you, Dogman, for the real life experience. I would suggest that you do a little google searching for powerstrokehelp and Bill Hewitt. I'd post some links, but there are too many. :lmao I had no idea it was this bad! :eek:

.... And in light of the Above.. what we get here, on SDD.COM is.. Real Time, Real Life, How To's for DIY repairs and Mods that come from Guyz & Galz that have everything from a.. Full Blown Shop.. to wrenching in the Driveway.. using common tools, pieces, parts and methods (maybe outside the norm) that Do, in fact, WORK.. from members who are willing to share their Professional, and/or, "I did it this way" knowledge.

Video's & Pics are good visual Tutorials.. but in some ways bias/bogus* (IMO).. Ya just can't beat, One on One.. when you want to tackle some Maintenance, a Repair, or a Mod.. have the "Want To".. and are willing to give it a go.. using a Post or a PM, on Sites like this.

Since April of 05, seen guyz'n galz who weren't sure about Anything Dezel.. who are now Major Player's in how to Git'r Dun.

It 'jus don't git any bedder'n nat. 'Jus say'n.

* On a 6.0.. a "Seismic Event" ? :D:sly

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Talking about Bill :stir up a lot of crap with me and reminds me. That he riped me off big time and there was nothing I could do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64