Problem with Turn signal relay

Discussion in 'General Super Duty Discussion' started by dvor316, Jan 3, 2011.

Car Parts
  1. dvor316

dvor316 SDD Junior Member

I have a 03 7.3 SD with a electrical problem. I started hearing a clicking/static type noise from under the dash. I was able to find it was coming from the black plastic box housing the relay under the radio.
    I replaced it with a new flasher relay and checked it to see if it worked. The turn signals and emergency flasher work but the relay continues to click when they are turned off as long as the key is on.
    I am not sure what is causing it, turn signal unit on the column? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

2. big_rooster

big_rooster HNIC

The turn signal arms are very finicky on sd's. When mine went out the brake lights did not work on the truck.

3. JLDickmon

JLDickmon ursus combibo

slowly and carefully wiggle the stalk around and see if you can find a "sweet spot" where you can make it stop..
    If you can, then replace the multi-function switch..

4. Tail_Gunner

Tail_Gunner CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.

If you need to remove the turn signal switch, THIS PRIOR WRITE-UP will show you how to get it removed.

5. dvor316

dvor316 SDD Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. As sometimes happens with some problems, it stopped acting up. I had to drive it and as the flasher has a lifetime warranty, I figured "What the heck". After about 10 minutes of it staying on and going off intermitently, it is working fine.
    I imagine I should prepare to have to replace the turn signal switch in the near future. :(
    Thanks again for all who replied!

6. Tail_Gunner

Tail_Gunner CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.

Check your turn signal switch and the wire harness that plugs into it.
    I've had intermittant turn signal issues in the past. Read about it HERE.

7. Cattflight

Cattflight SDD Junior Member

Resurrecting this thread as this seems like the same issue I have been having (intermittently) for the last couple years. After nearly a year without issue, the clicking noise is back. The noise stops when I step on the brake, turn on either turn signal or turn on the flashers. The brake lights and turn signals all work just fine. I've cleaned the battery terminals as well (based on other thread suggestions).

I have to pull the lower center dash panel to find the exact location of the noise, but it is definitely coming from some large assembly under there. Sounds like a relay, but I thought all relays were located in the fuse box/relay cluster. has anyone officially solved this issue?