Propane?

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shopping around for a propane injection kit for 1997 powerstroke. any one else using one? What kind? and is it worth the money? I see alot of do it yourself stuff too but i am a little leery of them.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I think they have pretty much have fallen out of favor all the companies that were selling them are dropping them in favor of methanol injection. which does the same thing, pretty much, but cheaper.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Agreed. I heard you can use windshield washer fluid?? Thats def cheaper haha.

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I like the price. does anyone on this forum have a system installed? and where did you purchase yours and would you recommend it? Looking for power and mileage.

thanks.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Propane kits are relatively cheap, the big difference in systems is where the pressure is regulated at either at the tank or closer to the engine compartment. Be sure yours regulates closer to the tank, this reduces the higher pressure liquified propane in lines running under the truck.

I can say that I had a propane setup on a toy truck I had for a while IIRC it was a powershot 2000, (don't hold me to that) on a stock truck it was roughly the same as adding a good chip the diesel mileage went up however the $$/mile really didn't change when you add in the cost of propane. How much propane used depended on my right foot.

The reason that propane has fallen out of favor for these trucks is that it changes the timing of the combustion event. you now have fuel that is in the cylinder when it is compressing and it will combust prior to the fuel injection event from the direct injection cylinder. If you have a chip that is not listed on your profile you need to remove it or have it reprogrammed for propane usage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg