Pulling the bed

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be pulling the bed soon due to pump failure. While not complicated, I do have a specific issue; namely, this was a Minnesota truck most of its life and I'm afraid the bolts may be rusted to the frame. The last owner also rolled in a parts store liner kit.

How much fun is this going to be if I can't get the bolts loose by normal means? I don't have access to a torch and don't know if that's the right move anyway.

JRJ04

Reaction score
if youre trying to get to the fuel pump...its not inside the tank. It is located on the frame rail on the driver's side. As far as taking the bed off goes...its not that difficult to drop the tank...ive done it. Just take your time and itll be fine.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
if youre trying to get to the fuel pump...its not inside the tank. It is located on the frame rail on the driver's side. As far as taking the bed off goes...its not that difficult to drop the tank...ive done it. Just take your time and itll be fine.

Ah, then I have a problem with the mixing valve. I'm not getting enough fuel pressure and, at times, air in the system. It's progressivly getting worse, especially on first starts.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Doing the in-tank, and pre-pump mods should clear that right up! really makes a difference in how it runs.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Good news!!!

Doing the in-tank, and pre-pump mods should clear that right up! really makes a difference in how it runs.

It was bad fuel causing my issue. I did the dummy thing of not buying from my usual stop because the fuel was almost $.20 cheaper; lots of contamination. A fresh tank, additive and filter cleared it right up.

I've been planning on the Hutch and harpoon mods for some time now and will soon have a kit comming from ITP. I'll have to keep rolling the "bad pump dice" to convince the old lady it's money well spent.

I've heard some horror stories about broken bolts and chewed up heads on snow belt trucks and was wondering if anyone knew of any tricks in case it happened. One thought was to grind down the heads a bit to create a flat spot, then weld a nut on top so I can use an impact on a greater surface. Just a thought...

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Start trying to get some penetrating oil on the bolts over the next few weeks. Pulling the bed is not difficult.

1043103032037363248S500x500Q85.jpg

Tbar

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Start trying to get some penetrating oil on the bolts over the next few weeks. Pulling the bed is not difficult.

1043103032037363248S500x500Q85.jpg

Tbar

Tbar,

That reminds me; I also need to replace rear sway bar bushings while i'm at it. Good looking truck (I have a fondness for the basic colors).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64