Question R&R EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think its time to consider deleting the EGR Cooler and I think probably will replace the Oil cooler while I'm in there. The truck has always puked a little coolant since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago and I think the puking is the sign of a semi- blocked oil cooler. It has never smoked any color smoke. Over the last 5 months, it has started loosing a lot of coolant. It is NOT going into the crankcase. I think the EGR cooler has a small leak in it and the leaking coolant is evaporating in the valley of the engine. I have found no coolant leaks anywhere and no puddles under the truck.

The truck now has 108k on the clock and has no lose of power. Im more worried about the coolant running low and the truck running hot taking out the heads. I am planning on doing the installation myself as I have the time to do so as well as the facilities/tools to do so.

I dont have an unlimited budget so price does matter on parts. Are any delete kits better than any other kits? I have seen delete kits for $165 this week and a FOMOCO oil cooler at the dealer is $408. I am also going to flush the cooling system and considering installing a coolant filter.

All comments welcomed.

Last edited:

hulkster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sinisterdiesel.com. delete the stock oil cooler and plumb an exterior one one the truck delete the egr cooler for sure. while your there delete the egr valve and throw it in firepit where it belongs.

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sinisterdiesel.com. delete the stock oil cooler and plumb an exterior one one the truck delete the egr cooler for sure. while your there delete the egr valve and throw it in firepit where it belongs.

deffinately agree with mounting an exterior oil cooler... easier for in the future should it go out on you... when i deleted my egr cooler and valve i was one happy sob! truck put me on the side of the road a few times in louisiana while i was trying to get hom to texas...not cool!!

youll be happy with the results though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58