Rear end 7.3 idi 1992 500k miles

BamKat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My rear axle broke and I tried to repair it however, it became so hot that it is stuck and I cant remove it. It is loose but it will not pull out. I have decided that I want to replace the entire rear end and I have found one from a guy who is parting out a 92 f250.

Questions:
1. How can I tell what the gear ratio is?

2. I have a 3.55 in my truck and would like to keep the same. If the new one is 3.73 or 4.10 can I swap gears from the one I have?

This is a pic of the tag on inside of door of the truck that is being parted out, that im about to buy the entire rear end off of.

uploadfromtaptalk1444320171639.jpg

Thanks!

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A C5 axle is a:

Ford/Sterling Full Float 10.25 axle with 4:10 gearing and is a Limited Slip Differential

You could swap gears, but they will need to be setup correctly on the new carrier.

How do you use this truck? If its a highway cruiser, then the 3:55's are a good choice, but if you tow heavy a lot, the 4:10's are really nice...... what truck is this going in? Another IDI, or a PSD?

BamKat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A C5 axle is a:

Ford/Sterling Full Float 10.25 axle with 4:10 gearing and is a Limited Slip Differential

You could swap gears, but they will need to be setup correctly on the new carrier.

How do you use this truck? If its a highway cruiser, then the 3:55's are a good choice, but if you tow heavy a lot, the 4:10's are really nice...... what truck is this going in? Another IDI, or a PSD?
Thank for the info! Very helpful. I am replacing the rear end in my 1992 F250 7.3 idi. I will be using it for highway and trips to feed store.

This is a pic of the tag on the inside of the door that I am repairing. Can you tell me more about this rear end. Thanks for the help!uploadfromtaptalk1444412999455.jpg

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A 35 axle is a:

Ford/Sterling Full Float 10.25 axle with 4:10 gearing and is an Open Differential.

So with this swap, you would have the same gearing as you do now, but gain a Limited Slip Differential. So it should behave the same on the roads as it does now, you just have a Limited Slip, which can help in a 2wd truck.....

I'd say, if the new one checks out, buy new U-Bolts, routine maintenance, check out the brakes, and swap it out....

BamKat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A 35 axle is a:

Ford/Sterling Full Float 10.25 axle with 4:10 gearing and is an Open Differential.

So with this swap, you would have the same gearing as you do now, but gain a Limited Slip Differential. So it should behave the same on the roads as it does now, you just have a Limited Slip, which can help in a 2wd truck.....

I'd say, if the new one checks out, buy new U-Bolts, routine maintenance, check out the brakes, and swap it out....
Thank you very much for the info! I will go and look at this rear end and see if I can get it.

BamKat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A 35 axle is a:

Snicklas, I just found 2 rear ends that im interested in buying. They are both have a 39 axle. Can you tell me what a 39 axle is?

Thank you very much with all of your help.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A 39 axle is a:

Ford/Sterling Full Float 10.25 axle with 3:55 gearing and is an Open Differential.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr