Rear Main Seal?

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have developed an oil spot on my driveway recently. I crawled under the truck to try to pinpoint the leak. There was oil film on the bottom of the oil pan that extended back to the bell housing on the tranny. I'm thinking the rear main seal is the culprit.

Does the motor have to come out to change it or is it something I can do in the driveway?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is NOT your rear seal. There were a lot of folks who changed the rear seals, when the trucks were new, only to have the leak come back. It could be the bed plate, but you don't have one. You should clean the pan area and keep looking for the leak. You will find it.

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea its very rare for the the 7.3's to have a rear main leak. My guess is its coming from somewhere up higher. Check the engine valley under the fuel filter...is it dry? If not, start checknig the HPOP hoses...they can leak. If the valley is dry...closely examine the turbo pedistal...there is a metal spring inside of it actuated by oil that can start leaking.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a search on the site and the concensus is that the leak is coming from the valley. I just sprayed the valley and topside of the engine with degreaser and I'm going to let that soak for a while. Once I get everything clean I will begin a thorough search and report back with any findings.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
My 7.3 leaked behind the flywheel from the pan gasket. Shop cleaned it up with brake cleaner and covered the hole area with silicone when they replaced the clutch. Beats pulling the motor and it worked.

dpantazis

Reaction score
you SURE its engine oil?
what is your trans pan gasket like? if it changed to an aftermarket one, it may be leaking and the atf will wet the bellhousing cover. DAMHIKT.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valley is filling up with oil. Anyone have any pics or a good description of the HPOP lines? I think I will start there.

JRJ04

Reaction score
to my knowledge...there are 2. Both come off the HPOP, and each go to one side of the motor. They are consideribly bigger in diameter in comparision to the other hoses under there. Clean that area up really well and look closely at where they connect to the HPOP.

Another think it could be...HPOP o-rings. Youll be able to tell if they are leaking by looking at the bolts on the top that run down to the bottom...oil will seep out the place where the meet.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
check you x pipes. my valley filled with oil until I did the ccv mod and pulled all my boost boots and cleaned them and reinstalled with hairspray. no more oil leak that dripped from the rear of the engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58