Rebuilding water damage

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 4 hours tearing out water damage on the under side of the camper. Thank God it was not in the floor, it was the skirts on the sides. I have one more side to do tomorrow. I still have to pull the frig. and open up the wall but I think that will wait till after my trip. Man the way they build thing stinks. They covered the wood with a fabric but did not leave a way for water to get out. The skirts on both sides are 12" tall so it made it a EZ fix for a long 2x12. I sealed it with a wood sealer after everything was cut out then wrapped it in a 18 oz fabric and sealed the fabric joint with some H-66 glue. Screwed the wood in then skinned the outside with the old fiberglass outer skin. Cant tell I fixed it other then the clean look....lol

Question I have is, is there a product that you can use to put on wood that has some water damage but is dried out. But still in good shape so you can cover over it?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Question I have is, is there a product that you can use to put on wood that has some water damage but is dried out. But still in good shape so you can cover over it?

You mean like Danish Oil? Cover the wood with the oil and let is set for a couple of days and then you can put a clear coat of Poly or Lacquar.

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean like Danish Oil? Cover the wood with the oil and let is set for a couple of days and then you can put a clear coat of Poly or Lacquar.

Dave :)

I found the stuff.
Minwax High Performance Wood Hardener a quick-drying liquid to strengthen, reinforce, and repair decayed or rotting wood.

water from where?

I think water from the wheel areas. The frig. area was a leak from a manufacture bad install of the awning. Which I fixed already. Just have to do the wood work next.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
minwax stuff works
but see if you can find some copper sulfate liquid, it will kill any mold left and preserve the wood, it will kill you to, so use gloves if you have a cut :D
it has arsenic in the older brands....maybe a real old lumber yard...
the newer stuff has no arsenic
you should be able to preserve the wood after it soaks in and dries a bit

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
minwax stuff works
but see if you can find some copper sulfate liquid, it will kill any mold left and preserve the wood, it will kill you to, so use gloves if you have a cut :D
it has arsenic in the older brands....maybe a real old lumber yard...
the newer stuff has no arsenic
you should be able to preserve the wood after it soaks in and dries a bit

Nice, I did not think of the copper sulfate. Thanks PB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr