Reloading Sources Question

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
In the past few months I started reloading my own 223 and 308 ammo. My neighbor gave me die set for 357/38 special and about 1000 cases so now I do that also. I was figuring it is about 50% cost savings to reload my own shells which is pretty good. We have the Crossroads of the West gun show in San Diego every few months and I have been buying my powder, primers and bullets there as their prices are pretty good. I recently added up some costs and found it might be cheaper to go with mail order as gas costs me about $15 for the trip, $9 parking and $9 entry ticket. So the $25 hazmat fee starts getting better. I found Grafs and Sons has free shipping and their prices are the same or lower than the show.

Does anyone have any other sources for powder, primers and bullets that are low cost or have lots of specials?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well, for metallic cartridges, I'd suggest buying your primers by the case...
your poweder in kegs, rather than pounds...
and your bullets by the gross, rather than the box...

you'll get better pricing, and you eliminate unnecessary runs for supplies..

brass you'll go through at a different rate, as it becomes unusable for a myriad of reasons, so mail order that and have it UPS bring it to you...

your other supplies like your tumbler media, etc., get from a reputable shooting supply store local to you...

every now and then they'll offer you a deal to get you to buy from them

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The next order will be for 5000 or 10,000 primers instead of 2000. I buy bulk bullets, 2000 38 JHPs at a time and several bags (500 ea) of the 223 50 grain FMJBTs. The 308s are a bit more expensive but I have been getting 1000 at a time. We don't go to the tange every week, maybe every 3 weeks or so I guess as racing season is on right now.

I am waiting for the FBI to call as the shop where I last bought some black powder also sold some to a woman with a fake ID but they caught it the second time she tried and they traced the powder she had to the large pipe bomb that went off at the San Diego Federal building a few weeks ago. Yikes! I figure they have everyones names now and are checking things closely?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The next order will be for 5000 or 10,000 primers instead of 2000. I buy bulk bullets, 2000 38 JHPs at a time and several bags (500 ea) of the 223 50 grain FMJBTs. The 308s are a bit more expensive but I have been getting 1000 at a time. We don't go to the tange every week, maybe every 3 weeks or so I guess as racing season is on right now.

I am waiting for the FBI to call as the shop where I last bought some black powder also sold some to a woman with a fake ID but they caught it the second time she tried and they traced the powder she had to the large pipe bomb that went off at the San Diego Federal building a few weeks ago. Yikes! I figure they have everyones names now and are checking things closely?

If you are going to go through 5,000 to 10,000 rounds, order a good set of ear protection.

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
Huh? Seriously, I have been wanting to try the ones made by Surefire, the light people as they fit inside the ear and have two ways to set up, one that uses a limit of blocking only sounds over 85db or something like that and then you can out in the center to block most everything?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

don't sweat it.
they already know who you are, what you bought,
who she really is, what she bought.

If they were interested in you, they'd have knocked on your door already.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh? Seriously, I have been wanting to try the ones made by Surefire, the light people as they fit inside the ear and have two ways to set up, one that uses a limit of blocking only sounds over 85db or something like that and then you can out in the center to block most everything?

Here is some ear protection examples. I have a good friend who lost his hearing because of many years of target practicing. $30.00 is not much when it concerns your hearing.

Amazon.com: Earmuffs - Hunting & Shooting Accessories: Hunting Earmuffs & More

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Here is some ear protection examples. I have a good friend who lost his hearing because of many years of target practicing. $30.00 is not much when it concerns your hearing.

Amazon.com: Earmuffs - Hunting & Shooting Accessories: Hunting Earmuffs & More

speaking of that, I use Silencio gel plugs.. have had them for years, tames even a day of bustin' off full-house .44 Mag loads, and even tames the ear-splitting crack of a .32-20 loaded to levels never envisioned by Winchester...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64