Replacement Shocks

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK Fellas,

I, thanks to the City of Indianapolis am in need of replacement shocks. (Hit a hellhole in the middle of a major intersection. Deep enough hole it actually hurt when I hit it, not seeing it.)

I have searched here and on oilburners about replacement shocks. I have read many posts about suggestions, and "I just put these on and like them so far" posts. But I would like some long term experience opinions.

I am not wanting to go overboard on the price. I would prefer to get them locally (AZ, ADV, Napa, I even have a 4 Wheel Parts Store close to home)

I would like to stay in the $200 - 250 price range for 4. I will install them, so the full price range will be going to shocks, and of course to pay Mitch.

Here are my local options. Has anyone used these, or know someone that has, and how they have worked out. I have seen the $100-120 a shock, and I think that is overkill for my application.

This is going on my 03 Excursion, 6.0, 4x4. It is the "family car" does some towing. Is not off-roaded. It mainly stays on paved roads. So I am not needing a extreme off road shock. But I do know that I do not want the $20 that are probally worse that the busted ones on there.

Here are my options locally.

AutoZone

Advance

NAPA

4 Wheel Parts

I have read good things about the Rancho RS5000 (See the Advance Link)

However, some of the shock sets from 4 Wheel Parts seem really good.

What do you guys think.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yul get what you payed for. I messed around buying different shocks for a long time.

Finally, I Bit the Bullet and bought a set of Bilsteins. That was 8 years ago, and 120K ago, and they're still.. good to go. (like new) Towed the 5r all over the country.. and was my daily driver.. for work. (I don't do that... anymore Though:D)

:dunno

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK... on the Billstiens I see the 4600 and the 5100. What is the difference between them, besides $25 bucks? Which one is better?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Rancho RS5000 shocks on my truck about 6 months ago. They ride wonderful what a big difference they have made. It came with Ranchos from the factory. The bushing on one shock had worn out and one shock was pretty much worn out after 6 years. I purchased four new ones delivered to my door for about $150 on a buy three get one free deal from Auto parts warehouse online. There was no tax and no shipping cost. Right now Rancho is offering a $50 rebate debit card on the purchase of 4 shocks. If I were to buy the shocks now they are approximately $214 minus the $50 rebate so about $164 total with a limited lifetime warranty. Here is what I bought:

Shock Absorber And Strut Assembly - Auto Parts Warehouse

The rebate form is on this website:

Rancho Suspension: RANCHO® NO LIMITS PROMOTION

I hope this helps.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Bilstiens on my truck two years ago and have been real pleased so far.
I pull a 16,000lb+ fifthwheel and the ride is fine.
Doug

BIGMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Bilstiens 5100 on my truck three years ago and there great, I need to clean then up to make them look new again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64