Replacing exhaust--cat back or downpipe too?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
TE, where ya located ?
I have a local Muffler shop near Mansfield, Tx that did the turbo back install on my 03 for $45 IIRC...

WELL worth the money.... just for the downpipe itself !!!! :)

If'n you insist on doing it yourself... get under the truck with a sawzall and reach up as HIGH as you can to cut the stock downpipe so it can be extracted...

I'm up in Longmeadow, Massachusetts (military) and none of the shops around here are willing to do it--only if I buy from them.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Okay, exhaust is here and going in tomorrow morning. I notice that the stock downpipe is wrapped in a metallic blanket of sorts...is this something that I'll want the MBRP system wrapped in? And if so, what is it and where can I get it?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you wont need teh exhaust wrapping.
the mbrp downpipe will be close fit going down the back of the firewall. the clamp ends up very near teh pinch weld for the body, you may have to bend it gently flat, i placed a 1x 2 piece of wood there and on the crossmember just in front of the cat and laid the pipes on it to ensure we got good clearance then slowly went bck and forth tightening the clamps to get the fit just right. leave the trubo clamp loose till all the underneath work is done, then go back and tighten it, check all again in a few days

enjoy

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
The exhaust is in. I'd like to have a few words with the genius that wrapped my downpipe FIVE TIMES with the heat wrapping!! -mad Took me over 2 hours just to get the down pipe down--had to cut it twice, but the wrapping and it's bands kept getting hung up on every little thing in its way. After the downpipe was out, the new exhaust was in within 45 minutes. Just got to make final adjustments in the daylight and I'm good to go.

:thanks

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Just got back from a 450 mile test drive and she's running like buttah. The only change in sound is more, well, a LOT more turbo whine in the cab, but with three kids I hardly noticed the extra whining. Much louder outside, though, which is great.

Thanks for everybody's help.
Bruce

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14