Question Replacing front drivers side hub bearing

easyrider1234

6.0 stock setup
Reaction score
Ok so I am replacing the drivers side front wheel bearing on my 03 f350 6.0. After removing locking hub and the brake assembly, i noticed some play in the axle spindle. So looking farther back where the axle goes into the housing I notice the "dust seal is shot. One of the questions I have is there a bearing assembly on the axle at the opening of the axle housing or is there just a dust seal???? If there is simply a dust seal I plan to simply install a new main wheel bearing.
I watched the removal of an axle on youtube and the mechanic diconnected the tie rod, tapped on the back side of the ujoint and pulled the axle out thru the center of the steering knuckle. My truck has some kind of dust cover not allowing the axle to be pulled thru. The ball joints seem good so I dont want to mess with em if I dont have to.

If anyone knows where I can get the bearing at a really good price I would appreciate it as well.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are in for a full day of wrenching if you want to replace the dust shield. You must take everything out board of the axle end off the truck. Remove the hub, remove the nut holding in the wheel bearings, remove the bearing assembly, remove the hub, remove the two ball joints that hold the spindle/brake assy. Now you can remove the axle and replace the dust shield. Reverse the order for re-assmebly. I left out a bunch of obvious stuff like removing the brakes, dust shields, etc... Now is the time to replace the ball joints if they are going sout. Good Luck and have fun.

Dave :)

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not certain but my 06 came apart without removing the ball joints, i lost the unit bearing which ford then wants you to buy the entire spindle assembly. I searched the net and found out i could go to my dealer and with a little coaxing i got them to realize they did sell the bearing for 60.00. I did have to have the Knuckle vacuum dust cover on the back pressed off so i installed a new one of those also, i think it was around 100.00. then while i had the axle slid out of the knuckle i replaced the dust shield with the new updated shield, which is alot better design and has a nice positive fit. I did have to make a few trips to the dealer as i ended up with some of the wrong seals but that was my inexperience. after i did it i had really good auto hub engagement. The whole thing start to finish if had the parts and had them all pressed on takes about 2 hours. There were some good youtube videos i watched to better understand what i was trying to accomplish as i had never done it before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58