Replacing stolen truck

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2006 crew cab 4X4 with a manual transmission was stolen. It's difficult to find a 6.0 with a manual so I'm looking at 7.3 cause there's more of them available. Some sellers are claiming under 150k miles. I find that low mileage hard to believe. What should I look out for? Also I have heard the 4x4 from 99-02 ride harshly compared to the 04-07 models.

Trying to stay away from car dealers, people who lifted their trucks. Chips on the 6.0 are a problem IMHO I don't know enough about the 7.3 to have an opinion. Any advice greatly appreciated. Don't think that I would ever be happy with an automatic transmission so that's not an option till I've exhausted all other choices. Not a fan of Dodge trucks however it's way easier to find a manual transmission there. My dad had a 96 extended cab DWD with a 5 speed, he installed a hi-lo Gear Vender. Awesome drive train the rest of the truck not so much.

highlandre

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes the 7.3L will ride rougher, it's leaf spring vs coil spring. I loved the sturdy feeling of the truck on the road. Personally I'd take a 7.3L over the 6.0 due to the known problems with the 6.0. I made numerous updates to mine but the motor never gave me trouble and I only did regular maintenance.

Found a nice looking manual in Utah you may be interested in.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '01 rides like, well, a truck. I do like the firmness of it but it jostles the wife around some lol. Like you, I searched for months for a manual. I have owned it since '05 and have 275,000 on it with no major issues. I'm keeping until it falls apart. Good luck and sorry to hear about your loss.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I know it is probably a little late to post this but I had a 2001 Crew Cab with 57,000 miles on it. Very clean and loaded with many extras. Dealer purchased it from me for $16,000 and sold it for ??? There are some low mileage trucks out there but they are few and they are commanding a big price. I owned that truck for about 17 years. Served me well but we no longer needed it to tow a RV. It had an automatic tranny that I put a shift kit in and it never caused me on bit of trouble and responded as well as a manual. I would not be afraid to purchase a truck with an automatic. Change oil with Mobil 1 often and you will have a trouble free ride for years and lots of miles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr