Right oil weight???

Discussion in 'Engine Oils - Additives - BioDiesel' started by Tman123, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Tman123

Tman123 That One Guy

I recently went to a Ford Dealership here in Salt Lake and had my oil changed. (cost me $76) When I got my truck back I looked at the sticker and noticed they put 10W - 30 Full Synthetic in my truck... She seems to be running just fine now while its cold but I'm wondering if that will be ok for the spring and summer months.... or if its too 'thin' of oil. I've always used 15W - 40 in my truck.

Travis

2. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

I ran 30W in my 7.3. I run 5W 40 or 15W 40 in my 6.0. I am currently running 5W 40 synthetic oil. The weight is not extremely important but the rating is. Your oil needs to be CI 4 or CJ 4 rated. This is diesel oil and not for gassers. I would run it and change it, at 5000 miles, to a known oil.

Dave

3. WD40

WD40 Full Access Member

I have never seen a 10 W 30 oil with CI 4 or CJ 4 rating. Not saying it's not made
    just never seen it.
    Doug

4. Tman123

Tman123 That One Guy

On the paper they gave me it said it was an oil change for a 6.0..... and its diesel oil. Didn't say what brand... Has me a little worried that it might hurt my baby lol

Travis

5. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

I haven't either. The 30W I was referring to was straight 30 weight oil for diesels, way back in time - before the dinosaurs.

Dave :D

6. iracemine

iracemine black and tan

SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil

Its the right stuff. I have it in now. Its what you run in the winter time. When it comes to changing time (5K or 5 months) just put in the summer stuff.

7. toddyw

toddyw SDD Junior Member

10w30 or 5w30 oil with the correct designation is the correct oil for these engines, and is specified as the recommended oil to use year round. The operating temperature is regulated by the coolant and thermostat not the ambient air temperature. The tolerances and clearances of the engines is tighter than previous engines. Also, going to a higher viscosity oil will effect your fuel economy. The same questions were asked when Ford started using 5w20 in their gas burners several years ago.

8. iracemine

iracemine black and tan

[​IMG]