rolled to an idle

shortbed

tightlipped member
Reaction score
i have a 2001 sd w/7.3 on the highway yesterday,suddenly the check engine light came on and i rolled to an idle.the engine is shaking like its misfiring,and i have no boost.i was able to get off the highway,and once off,stopped to check it out.no smoke of any color,and when plugged in to pull a code the instrument said "no codes found" i had the cps changed by ford about a month ago due to the recall,but once again no smoke.any ideas??? HELP!!!:rant

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i bet its running on one bank. idm, injector, harness could be shorted. start it up, and unplug the 4 valve cover harness connectors one at a time, see if you have some dead ones.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
My first guess is a UVC harness connector came apart.

It's been a problem with 7.3's. Enough of a problem that Ford came out with some little plastic wedges that act as a locking device that keeps the UVC connectors from coming apart.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
when plugged in to pull a code the instrument said "no codes found"

You're not going to get any codes unless the reader is capable of reading enhanced Ford codes. A lot of cheap readers like the ones Autozone and such uses won't read diesel codes.

With a better scanner, I suspect you'll get some injector circuit codes of some sort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58