Roof Racks

CHPMustang

Reaction score
obonaventure said:
What is everyone doing for roof racks. I know the stock ones are bad and will scrap the paint. Has anyone replaced the support rods with something else but still using the Excursion's tracks that are mounted on the roof?
I know several Excursion owners have went with the Proline Safari Rack utilizing Thule bars(TK1) that mount right in the OEM rails.
Scott uses a Yakima rail kit for his Safari basket :sweet
P1010221.JPG

One from an Excursion owner in Alaska :cool:
DSC00171.JPG

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in a larger rack like the one in the 2nd pic. Only could have used it a few times.

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I widened four Explorer crossbars, and sold the OEM Excursion crossbars on eBay (couldn't believe someone actually bought them). In addition to having an OEM appearance, the crossbars are up off the paint, and allow a long load to clear the Ford wind deflector on the liftgate. Photo at the following link ...

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=231431

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I removed the crossbars and the tracks. I have never had the need to haul anything on the roof. If it won't fit in the back I take the truck. If it won't fit in the truck I hook up the Wells Cargo trailer. If it won't fit in the trailer I use a bigger truck.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you widen the Explorer bars?
Wawuzat said:
I widened four Explorer crossbars, and sold the OEM Excursion crossbars on eBay (couldn't believe someone actually bought them). In addition to having an OEM appearance, the crossbars are up off the paint, and allow a long load to clear the Ford wind deflector on the liftgate. Photo at the following link ...

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=231431

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
How did you widen the Explorer bars?

I did it the hard way. The Explorer crossbars (circa 2000) have cross-tubes which can be separated from the towers. The easy way is to buy an extra Explorer crossbar, cannibalize the elliptical tube by cutting it into about 2-9/16" lengths, and TIG weld them to the ends of the other crossbars. I would've done that because I had four Explorer crossbars I bought on eBay, but I wanted four complete crossbars, and not just three. BTW, don't take that 2-9/16" dimension as gospel. If you attempt this, double-check the dimensions before cutting. It seems to happen sometimes ... no matter how much I cut off, it's still too short.

The way I did it was to contour grind eight (!!!) pieces of steel (aluminum would be better, but the steel was handy) to match the cross-section contour of the elliptical cross-tubes. Then I ground a step around one end of each so the cross-tube would snugly slip-fit onto the steel about 3/8". I drilled and tapped holes thru the tubes into the steel blocks, and secured the connections with stainless steel #8-32 machine button-head screws. Lastly, I secured the tubes, now with a fitted insert at each end, into the crossbar towers using more #8-32 stainless steel fasteners. If you've got a milling machine handy, this is a walk in the park, but will still require a lot of handwork.

Last edited:

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! A bit more work than I want to do. Great job and thank for the reply!
Wawuzat said:
I did it the hard way. The Explorer crossbars (circa 2000) have cross-tubes which can be separated from the towers. The easy way is to buy an extra Explorer crossbar, cannibalize the elliptical tube by cutting it into about 2-9/16" lengths, and TIG weld them to the ends of the other crossbars. I would've done that because I had four Explorer crossbars I bought on eBay, but I wanted four complete crossbars, and not just three. BTW, don't take that 2-9/16" dimension as gospel. If you attempt this, double-check the dimensions before cutting. It seems to happen sometimes ... no matter how much I cut off, it's still too short.

The way I did it was to contour grind eight (!!!) pieces of steel (aluminum would be better, but the steel was handy) to match the cross-section contour of the elliptical cross-tubes. Then I ground a step around one end of each so the cross-tube would snugly slip-fit onto the steel about 3/8". I drilled and tapped holes thru the tubes into the steel blocks, and secured the connections with stainless steel #8-32 machine button-head screws. Lastly, I secured the tubes, now with a fitted insert at each end, into the crossbar towers using more #8-32 stainless steel fasteners. If you've got a milling machine handy, this is a walk in the park, but will still require a lot of handwork.

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
CHPMustang said:
I know several Excursion owners have went with the Proline Safari Rack utilizing Thule bars(TK1) that mount right in the OEM rails.

I like the way the basket looks but it may be overkill for my needs. I will probably go with just the crossbars going across. I just need to figure out all the seperate components inorder to use the tracks that came with the truck. I know that basically you need the crossbars (2), two sets of towers or uprights (4) and a set of "adapters" that'll attach the uprights to the OEM tracks.
But lately Roof Rack $$ has been going toward fuel :cussing:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58