Question rough running 7.3

jpciron

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a 2003 7.3 that starts in the morning but acts like its running on only 4 cyl. You guys have any ideas what would cause this. Thanks in advance for any info...Jason

jpciron

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys
I thank you for the replys. I will check the glow plugs. however I think the problem is deeper... I starts rough as i said then smoothes out once warm. once its warm and runbning it still sees lik its missing some power. Injectors?

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
You might be right in thinking injectors, but start with the obvious easy stuff first. Check out the glow plugs, and if it still runs rough, then dig deeper

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
yeah check the plugs then liek you said its probably a fuel related problem ie-injectors,pump, maybe icm ...have you checked it for codes? its an easy place to start and might just tell ya whats wrong

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
this may sound stupid but check your oil if its low it will do that also because oil is thicker when its cold and won't pump the injectors like it should

jpciron

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice. The low oil thing makes some sence. My drive way is on a grade so i backed in last night and the truck fired up as it should nice and normal this morning. I just parked it on level ground now so i can get an accurate oil reading. Here is the story on the truck. We bought it last week It's a 2003 F350 2wd 7.3 173k miles it had a banks six gun tuner that I removed. K&N intake and magnaflow exhuast. Running stock the only code i get is p0603. Running a hot tune off an SCT tuner I get codes 1249,1000,603,1211. :dunno

2ridgebacks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There is at least one oil related code there. Likely related to the hot tune. I had the same problem last winter after buying my used '01. I didn't think to ask when the oil was changed, nor did I check it as the truck appeared to be very well taken care of. When it got cold outside the truck would run extremely rough and had no power. If you left the driveway too soon, it would die about 300 yds. down the road and require extensive cranking to restart. I never checked the oil, just changed it and the problem was solved. I got the idea from a friend at work that had the exact same problem. His oil level was fine, the oil change solved the problem.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The Diagnostic Test Codes are shown in the SDDTechnical Articles WIKI in the top blue line above.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64