Rough running and white smoke 08 6.4L

rwhmachine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 08 F250 has developed a problem after only 5K mi. After a 40mi 90mph cruise on the Florida turnpike I noticed my engine was a little louder than before. The next morning it just ran terrible, couldn't even get to 60mph and engine was smoking and bucking. I took it to the dealer and they got to witness the rough ride (no engine faults displayed) I left the truck at the dealer and left in an embarrasing Explorer Hybrid. When the mechanic tested the truck he found no problem or engine codes. They had the truck for 2 days and put 90 miles on it, still no problem. I took the truck back and drove it for 2 more weeks without any issues. In the meantime I asked a Ford service manager from another dealer if he had seen that problem and he told me that he has seen it a couple times and it was most likely the EGR valve was stuck and that the computer does not pick it up. Well the other day it happened again, only for the critical moment when I attempted to pass a slow dump truck. I hit the throttle and moved over to the left and the engine bogged down and left a huge white smoke screen. I am surprised no one was injured. So now I am having the dealer replace the EGR valve. If anyone has read this here is the $10,000 question... I have heard that the EGR valve really doesn't do the engine any good recirculating exhaust gasses back through the intake. I have also heard that istalling a performance chip would be helpfull. I have been looking for the right product and could really use some good advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58