RV Roof Maintanence

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 10 year old EDPM (rubber) RV roof had no leaks, but had begun to shed a chalky white substance on the concrete after a good Dew or Rain. Also had permanent black spots all over it's entire surface. Our local RV shop sez it's time for some roof maintenance, repair or replacement..

Did some research, could only find One [Re-Coating] product (short of replacing the roof) available. That product was.. IMO, ridiculously expensive.. $500 bucks for a 2 part application.. that would Eat the siding & Graphics off, if you didn't Mask off and Cocoon your Rig.

Sooo.. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of White, Sta-Kool 780, Elastomeric Roofing compound at Home Depot.. for $80, and $15 worth of throw-away roller pads & brushes.

Washed the rig roof Twice with Soap & Water (lil' Simple Green too), let it dry for 2 days.

Wife & I masked off the L & R side gutters.. Liberally applied the Sta-Kool around all the.. thru the roof things, then carefully applied a light to medium thick tack coat on the whole thing, yesterday. Put a Medium to Thick coat on.. late today*, per the instructions.

I feel Real Good about the Product, application process and results.

As we go through the Winter, I'll post back.. on any issues, good or bad.

:dunno

Joe

* I may do another lite coat in a week or two.. cuz I have 1.5 gallons leftover) (30X8' feet of roof)

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It has been years since I did a re roof on a camper. It was not cheap, but what in RV'ing is?? You made a good choice by going to a home repair product rather than the same stuff in a "RV" can. Saved a ton Joe.

Dave :thumbs

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Dave. I very, very seldom use Anything "RV" when working or fixing on these things. To big of a Mark Up.

I had used this Sta-Kool before on other, non RV applications with Good, long lasting results.. and two guys that used it on their Motor Homes, sooo :dunno

On the Recommended uses.. "RV roofs" is stated. It went on real good, self leveling..covered in one coat.. the second, thicker coat was a Breeze. We used a 9" and a 4", 3/4" nap roller.. and a 6" brush for the tight spots. I laid it on thicker 'round all the seams & joints, and such.

We climbed down the ladder.. with a Real Good feeling about it all.:)

It forms a Bonded Skin, after it drys.

We'll see.... long term ?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, I was looking at that stuff too. Sta-Kool 780, Elastomeric Roofing compound. My roof has that graish slime thing going on too. I put some water and soap to it and almost slipped off the roof. How long before it was dry to walk on for the second coat?

Camping world and others are out of there minds on there prices. I only get things there if I have to. I found a mom and pop place that has good prices here about haft the price of others.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, I was looking at that stuff too. Sta-Kool 780, Elastomeric Roofing compound. My roof has that graish slime thing going on too. I put some water and soap to it and almost slipped off the roof. How long before it was dry to walk on for the second coat?

Camping world and others are out of there minds on there prices. I only get things there if I have to. I found a mom and pop place that has good prices here about haft the price of others.

I let mine dry for 2 days, after the washes, then applied the first coat. Waited 24 full hours before the second.

The Sta-Kool 780 is Water Based, so it seemed to dry purdy fast, depending on the local temps of course.. we're still in the high 80s here. I started at the front, roller-ed myself to the back corner.. so I didn't have to walk on it. Same with the second, heavier coat.

It sez to not apply it if Rain or a heavy Dew is expected (Duh).. we had a light Dew this AM.. I checked it.. No Problems.. it had about 5/6 hours of drying time, yesterday.... in the 80s, and overnight.

I hear ya on the "Big Box" RV suppliers. Just like our PSDs.. RV Pieces & Parts don't HAVE TO come from a RV store, or the Maker~Dealer. ;)

If anyone ever has an issue/gremlin.. Post it HERE, on SDD. I, for one, will share what I've learned, which is: 95% of RV stuff is Standard.. Hardware Store Stuff.

And good number of, "A Better Way" stuff too :sly

Joe

On Edit: pulled all the masking tape* this AM. NICE edges, with real good adhesion on the sides, above the gutters.

*FWIW.. I use product from Scotch (Home Depot/Lowes) called; Pre-taped Masking film.. It's a 24" wide plastic film, with the Blue masking tape already attached.. comes on a dispenser.. rolls out and un-folds.. as you apply it. Work's GREAT for masking off where you might dribble ?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe did you take any pictures as you were doing the roof?
Doug

No I didn't Doug :(

I could write up a 1, 2, 3.. DIY if anyone wants to tackle it. I figure it saved us 1K+, doing it ourselves... from the quotes I got.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I wonder if this would be a good thing to do to the FEMA trailer we have.

Afterall, it is 5 years old and has done a lot of sitting in those 5 years prior to us getting it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this would be a good thing to do to the FEMA trailer we have.

Afterall, it is 5 years old and has done a lot of sitting in those 5 years prior to us getting it.

Depends on what kinda roofing material is on it Bama. If it's the rubber membrain type.. they're typically good for 5 to 8 years. IIRC, some of those FEMA trailors had sectional Aluminum sheet roofs.:dunno

If you start to see a chalky material on the ground after a rain, or it has black spots all over the surface.. you might wana start thinking about doing something.

The Cali Sun finally got to mine, after 10 years.

Joe

On edit: If yours Is Aluminum.. This Sta-Kool has a HEAT reflective quality to it too. Something to think about ??

Last edited:

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started to do this too. Probably should look into this next year when the cover comes off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64