Question Salvage Title Questions????

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly constitutes or determines a salvage title? I see a lot of trucks with a salvage title supposedly due to theft. Some of the trucks have very low miles and look in very good condition (already repaired). But how do you really know it was from theft and only minor damage? Is there a way to find out exactly what happened to the truck for sure?

I know you are pretty much screwed for resale on a salvage title. But if you planned on keeping the truck for a long time, some of the deals might be a worthy investment. Just wondering how you weed out the junk from the good ones?

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has a salvage title, from an accident and I got it dirt cheap. I think most insurance companies will total out ANY stolen vehicle. If you need the details, (besides theft, accident, flood, etc.) a carfax is no good. I would suggest getting a look at the title and see if you can get a name and look up the previous owner. shouldn't be a problem if it at a car lot. One thing you should be aware of is that ALL ford warranties are void on a salvage vehicle. So expensive engine repairs would not be covered by the 10 year 100000 mi powertrain warranty that have saved so many fellow SDD'ers wallets. I have already invested a few grand of my savings on the purchase price back into the truck, but obviously I thought it was a good enough deal to justify the risk, and I would probably do it again. just my 2 cents
Krist

Last edited:

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any vehicle that the insurance company basically buys from someone due to an accident , theft , flood , ect........ is considered salvage . I have had several . Some I bought and fixed , some I bought already fixed . I had one with such minimal damage that I didn't even need to paint anything . New bumper , header panel and one headlight ...Fixed . I just sold a 99 F-250 with 175k that had been wrecked when it was almost new . It had a salvage title . It lost a little value but not much . Noone was really concerned . In some states after you fix them you have to take all of your reciepts and the vehicle to a state inspection where they record what you fixed and at what expense . After this you take the inspection sheet and the title to the dmv and get a rebuilt salvage title .

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Bad Night is right. Any vehicle that the insurance company takes over they will put into salvage so they don't have to pay tax, title or license fees. Every vehicle I have ever owned has been a salvage title (all 21 of them). If you buy them right, you can get a hell of a deal. My truck was a theft from AZ. I had to replace the rear passenger door and then I put it on the road. I have put over 50k on it with no problems.

The only real way to find out exactly what happened to it is to talk to the previous owner.

You aren't always screwed on resale either. I have made money on all of my vehicles. As long as yo ubuy them right, be smart about putting them back together and then take out a normal fee for the wear and tear while you own and drive it, you can make money on a salvage title vehicle.

Two things I would say.....stay completely away from flood damage and anything with frame damage. Everything else is just cosmetic and can be fixed easily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64