Question same frames????

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a friend whos getting ready to help his son put together his first truck, there working on a 88 f-150 4x4 thats in well, to say it nice poor shape. The cabs perty well shot and not worth putting the time into. they have a 89 f-150 2wd thats really a nice truck body wise, they were gonna switch cabs but the 4x4 truck is real rough so i suggested just swaping the trans. transfer case and front axle to the 2wd frame. My question is are they the same frame?? can you just mark out where the brackets go and drill holes and bolt it together? Any help or suggestions would be great.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They are the same frame, but I am not sure about the mounting points for the cross members, and some of the mounts. You can drill them if need be, but riveting the frame will not happen. Check very carefully for these items.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the engine crossmember is different between the two frames. Not just a matter of bolting the mounting points onto the crossmember.

Dsl_Dog_Catcher

Where's your dog?
Reaction score
It would be easier to swap the cabs. Less bolts to turn, and just easier to do overall.

That it would be. Only trouble at that point would be 8 trips to the DMV to get a new vin assigned as an assemble vehicle.
If ya plan to keep the truck for a few years and the sheet metal is good, go for it!:sweet

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only trouble at that point would be 8 trips to the DMV to get a new vin assigned as an assemble vehicle.
sweet

In that case, would it still be a Ford, or could you give it your name ("John Doe Special"). Plus would it be a 2009 model, or would it be like the old Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time"? "At the court house, they didn't laugh........" When someone asked him what model was it, he said "Well, it's a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54......." "What's the cost of your mo-chine?" "Well, you might say, I went to the factory and picked it up."

Seriously, would a vin assigned as an assemble vehicle affect the year, make, and model?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
."

Seriously, would a vin assigned as an assemble vehicle affect the year, make, and model?

Yes kit cars are assigned a the model year of the year first registered, regardless of when the kit was produced or purchased. However most kit cars are listed with the kit producer as the make where if it is completely custom it would be listed as homemade (sadly they have no creativity @ the DMV) Model is typically left blank on a completely custom other than to indicate a basic vehicle type (sedan, roadster, coupe, truck etc) if otherwise blank on title documentation, kit cars are generally given the model name from the kit purchased.

All of this varies from state to state along with vehicle inspection requirements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14