Satellite radio/optional iPod install DIY

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Richard
a few questions
Why do we need the PIE adpater? when the sat receiver uses a simple three wire jack plug????
I have to ask cause the electronics stores dont know either?
GREAT write up
I snatched my dash panel off scared me but SNAP off it came
I modified your power feed slightly.
used modified the plug adapter dc-dc convertor slightly, since the xm thingy like your requires 6 volts. I disected it and attatched my IN 12v to the normal pins ( removed the cigarette plug end and then tapped and it all back together.
for power i used the rear slider window 12 volt feed.
it stays on after teh key is turned off, until the the door is opened. plus it was right behind my panel of mounting.
also i ran my ant into teh cab thru a hole in the passenger side a pillar just across from teh mirror rubber plugs , there was a factor hole covered by a clear piece of body tape. now its covered with an EPDM cover to seal it back up,
and i installed the roady mount just so a small nub stuck out of the panel
so if we sel it i can jsut get a new panel and keep mine,
SWEET right up
thanks for the hints and clues
this new radio is the shzzzzz nit

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Robert,

Do you NEED the PIE adapter? No, if you wish to listen to your satellite receiver through a FM frequency using the satellite radio's FM transmitter. But the way you travel it will be a PITA to change frequencies to avoid interference every 300 miles or so. What the adapter does is allow the CD-6 radio to accept the satellite radio as a separate audio source. All you have to do to hear the satellite radio is press the AUX button on your CD-6 radio and you are in business. The audio wires that come from your satellite receiver and plug into the adapter are then routed to the Ford compatable harness and put into the right pins in the rear of the radio. There are also line level adjustments and other circuits that "spoof" your satellite radio or other audio source(s) as a DVD player to the CD-6. No worries about FM frequencies at all. And the sound is CRYSTAL CLEAR! Well worth the extra $80 or so for the adapter. My install was more complicated because of the iPod. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. I wanted to do what you did with the 12 v plug, but my unit was a moulded piece and I couldn't take it apart. BTW, do you mind if I put your alternate method of routing the antenna wire in the article? You would of course get full credit.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
richard
knock your self out
i appreciate the help you provided...
it made my hesitant hands more eager to yank the dash right off, :hail

the wires for my ant.
I placed my little ant at the rear of the passeger side cab about 3" in from teh edge of the door, then routed the wire behind the door gasket in the channel it , then down the A pillar to the hole right behind teh funny looking rubber thing that is held on with four plstic clips. then in through the hole. My guess is the hole is for assembly alignment or fixture , it had a thicj piece of clear plastic film on it.
I used some epdm weather seal patch stuff to reseal it. plus i gained an R value of 1 :roflmao
my raody mount, epoxied it from the rear so just the knob thing sticks out when the raody is not in the truck
i geuss the pie is in my future for sure, i was just confused becuase my cd/dvd/radio/thingy in my rv had tow rca jacks already set up for teh satelite radio
works goood :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58