Shopping for new HDTV

CHPMustang

Reaction score
We're shopping for a new HDTV set(42"-46") and was looking to see what current owners like/dislike,opinions on brand and why.

I was reading from a couple manufacturers (Sceptre & Samsung) that they have near 20 year expected life but if I get 10 years out of a good tv hey I'm happy!:D

Thanks for your input!

Bill:)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
WE just got in from a good 3-4 hour jaunt around town at the retailers checking out the brands,features,etc and boy is there alot to choose from. The wife is liking the 42"-47" Samsungs,Vizios,Sonys and Sharps.:sweet

At the same time we need a larger wall unit to accommodate the new HDTV and all my satellite & audio gear:D

Mike thanks for checking in brother! Stay warm up there on the ice cap and keep us posted with your assignment stay up there:) :thanks

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
How about a few more details. What is your budget? what resolution will you be viewing everything at (480p, 720p, 1080p)? mostly for watching movies or wathing tv? do you have HD tv? will you? If used for movies have you invested in a BD or HD player yet? I bought a PS3 to watch Blu-Ray on and love it.

As i have said before i have always liked Sony but i had a Sharp Aqious 26" in Qatar and loved it, my friend also had a Samsung same size. Both did 720p and side by side the Samsung looked a little better. The sony might be tad bit more expensive (havent looked) but be sure to shop around. Do you know what kind of TV you are looking at LCD/plasma?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
We're set on 1080p Full HDTV with no doubt and have a budget up to $2k. We don't have a HD DVD player(yet) but have the Dish Network HDTV DVR lined up with programming.

We're sticking with LCD although if the deal was sweet I may sway to Plasma.My FIL in Phoenix has a new 42" Plasma 1080i and it's killer,it's all his fault:D

Dig the new av Mike:sweet

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
were dealing w/ the same issues...damm 4k dollar piece of furniture
needed to house a new 52" set (that we havent bought yet)...the wife
and i want ALL the AV gear behind doors.

Im no fan of SONY...long ago i grew tired of their proprietary <betamax,
memory stick, sacd...now blue-ray> crap....feature wise theyre tend to
be over priced too.

we bought a Sharp Aquos 37" as a trial...the wife and i wont watch any
other tv anymore. the Sharp Aquos have gotten great reviews and
included all the input types <1-dvi, 3-hdmi, 3-composite, f-type,
1-s-vid, 2-hd-component>...the sharp aquos is 1080p compatable....although
youll be hard pressed to find anything that outputs that format...other
than blueray and hd-dvd.

sony has turned the high def. dvd in to a war of formats...their
movies (sony studios) are only available <for now> in blue-ray...and
ONLY sony OWNS the rights to blue-ray.

In the sony blue-ray players theyve even ELIMINATED the possiblity
of being able to play HD-DVD's...

there are some RARE brands (lg & panasonic) that play both formats
but youll pay a considerable premium for that....since they have to pay
a licensing fee back to sony <adding cost to the player>

were very happy w/ our Sharp Aquos...it was a "trial" set for us...
to see if all this hd is worth it and to see if it measured up to all the
hype...and ive gotta say IT DOES.

unless we win the lotto and can afford one of the large pioneer
sets we'll likely buy Another Sharp AQUOS (this time itll be a 52") !

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're shopping for a new HDTV set...

You sure you are not too old to be looking for an HDTV. I don't think they are called "TV sets" anymore. Here's one for ya. Check out the nice stain and detail.

rca4c03.jpg

Really though, If you don't want the thin LCD TV, the projection TV's work just fine. And for the same size screen they are alot cheaper. You could get a bigger screen for the same price of a smaller LCD or Plasma. I think the refresh rate is faster on the projection too. The only thing about the projection TV is it will stick out from the wall some and if you sit at an extreme left or right of the screen you might not be able to see the picture really well. I'm not going to argue about brands but will only say to stay away from brands that you have never heard of. That's usually a safe bet. And if you buy an electronic piece of equipment over around $200 or so, BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! Things do break from time to time.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Good luck on the search Bill... lots to choose from... the best advise I can give you.. look at Aspect ratio 5000:1 is about the lowest I would look at , resolution 1080p, and factory warranty min of 2 years. Visio, and Olivetti are mnf by Sharp electronics, good boxes. Samsung also has a great rep.

My set up .. ||Theater|| I have a Mitsubishi 73" DLP, the LG Dual format DVD, Sony dg1000 Receiver, 16 Bose cubes along the cealing line, 1 Bose Passive Sub, 1 Bose Powered Sub, 1 12" Klipshe Sub and a 10" Klipshe Sub. Though not many Movies are set up for a true 7:1 experience, The sound quality of a Movie can make it that much more of an enjoyable experience.

||Living Room||
32" Sharp Aquas
Simple RCA souround sound receiver.. (Wal-mart Cheapy)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64