Shopping for SD 7.3, Tranny Questions

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
I really want a 7.3 with the ZF6 but there is a really nice '01 at the local Ford dealer with an auto with 143K. I know the manuals are rare anymore and I'm just thinking about considering an auto. My questions are: issues that would eliminate and auto as an option, MPGs vs. the manual, cooling issues with towing 18-25' travel trailers, driving in the woods hunting and downhill driving without having to ride the brakes. My signature truck has served my family well since '02 but it's time for a crew cab and I like the Super Duties. Any info to help me make a informed choice would be appreciated. All of my trucks have been manuals and I'm hesitant to move to a slush box. HELP!!:dunno

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you try the auto, it will take some time to get used to it, but after a while I think you will like it. Towing a 18 to a 25 foot
long RV would be a piece of cake for that truck. I know a lot of people pulling 35 to 38 foot fifth wheels with that same truck
and they do a great job.
Doug

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Slush box.... Aint grandpa's tranny anymore.:lmao

01 will have a 4R100. In stock form they are pretty tough. To make them better. A bigger tranny cooler and a TransGo Tugger kit, or Sonnax sure Cure kit. Both kits will make this transmission very responsive. ;tu

As for grades, you can manual shift an auto. don't be afraid to push the button or pull the lever if needed. Now if you go with a shift kit. Your auto will react almost the same as a manual. Best part your foot does not have to push the peddle in traffic.:thumbs

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Sorry it's been a while. That truck at the dealer didn't work out. We couldn't agree on price. Oh, well. I'm still looking. Driven a couple now with the 4R100 and it is different. I'm sure I'll get spoiled if I end up with the auto. Trackspeeder (Adrian, right?), I don't mind that extra man-pedal. It's so second nature. I am just so a bolt action guy but really anything to have a good 7.3. Shift kit and 6.0 cooler has been recommended by several folks now so that would be something on the short list to do. Does the 4R100 take any tuning? I know the newer ones do but I wasn't sure about these. I have a Bully Dog Triple Dog Downloader off my dad's '02 but I've heard the Edge actually has better tunes for the 7.3.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Adrian is the other speeder guy.:)

You can tune the 4R, but it just a band aid. The best thing to do to a 4R is a good shift kit. TransGo Tugger or Sonnax Sure Cure.Do the pump mods too. This will require tranny removal but its worth it.

If you don't want to go crazy and pull the tranny apart, there is another option. A modified accumulator body from RacerX, John Woods, or BTS. This will require removal of the pan only.

Be sure to tell the vendor what tunes you have if any, so they can adjust the body to your tunes.;tu

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About your question of riding brakes going downhill -- first gear on my 4R100 is low but if I put it in low range (with or w/o 4wd) it's really low. I don't ride brakes on grades at all. I do agree with others that a tranny cooler might be needed for towing. I don't have one but watch the temperature gauge (it was nearly 190F today).

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Update: Still looking. Found an '02 F-250 XLT Crew shortbox 4X4 auto with 124K at the Ford dealer. Waiting for it to go through the shop inspection. Looks promising if they don't want too much. My other dilemma is I have an '03 Yamaha Grizzly 660 ATV. Anyone know if that will fit in the short bed with tailgate shut? I did some measuring and I think it will. I know one of the salesman and he said I could test drive it, take it home and load the ATV in it to be sure it fits. Decisions, decisions!!!:dunno

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you about the quad, but my 99 has hauled a steel three-horse with living quarters & loaded with Clydesdales damn near everywhere and never skipped a beat.. if you want compression braking, all you have to do is cancel overdrive with the button on the stalk..

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Thanks, John. I'm okay with the auto now. I've actually given up on trying to find a manual. I just want a good truck. Even considering a 6.0 but I'm not sure because of the motor issues. I have a thread in the 6.0 forum on that as well. We'll see how the '02 at the dealer goes.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
6.0's aren't bad engines unless you try to make stupid amounts of horsepower out of them.

Daveben's truck is a good example.. butt-tonne of miles on it, bone stock, and rarely an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64